Carb question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
andrew o sullivan
First Name: andrew
Last Name: o sullivan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring 1910 touring 1914 pickup
Board Member Since: 2014

Carb question

Post by andrew o sullivan » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Hi There guys . can I have some help I have a 1925 ford model t with a van body on it , I have a model NH Carb fitted to the model t van , it seams to be a bit slow and down on power .. can I ask what is the best cab to fit to the engine . I have a Kingston model L ,,,,and I have stromberg also I have a Holley . I'm looking for info witch is the best & efficient carb to fit to my engine . the stromberg carb is very big are those carbs for tractor engines . id like to learn more about carbs thanks guys

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: Carb question

Post by DHort » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:49 pm

I am sure it is harder to find a good carb over in Ireland. I do not think the carburetor will make that much difference. The Stromberg seems to be the favorite over here. Your compression is a factor as well.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:52 pm

Do you want power of be efficient? :D I would be guessing the Stromberg might be an updraft from your description, if so which one? The Hollie and NH would be the same and is the Kingston an L or L4?
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:09 pm

You may know that the NH has some passageways that can clog and give poor performance. Cleaning them may improve it.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80 ... 1253048587
Sorry if this is old info to you.
Rich
When did I do that?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:02 pm

What ignition system are you using? Are you still using magneto? You also mention "Van". I have found the weight carried by the car is very noticeable in the power especially climbing hills. I have a hill which I can scale in Ford high gear when driving alone. If I throttle up just before ascending and hold my speed as much as possible I will go up in high. But if I add a passenger, I have to shift down on that same hill. I have another Model T which I ran with coils and 6 volt battery. It was one of the slower cars on tours, especially on hills. Finally I installed a good magneto in that same car and it is now one of the fastest on tours. Same carburetor. So the type ignition system used makes a difference as does the weight you are carrying. I'm sure a van would be heavier than a touring or roadster, and even might be heavier than a sedan. So the problem might not be in the carburetor at all.
Having said the above, I would suggest that you find a friend locally who has a faster car and borrow his carburetor. If it improves your performance, then try to find a carburetor of the same type for your car.
Norm

Bill Robinson
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Robinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Depot Hack, '25 Touring Car, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Tudor, & another '27 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 22487
MTFCI Number: 17887

Post by Bill Robinson » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:12 pm

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133

Post by StanHowe » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:20 pm

The only Stromberg that will run well on a T engine, generally speaking, is the one that was made for it. Either the earlier Stromberg LF, or the far more popular Stromberg OF. They OF came out in late 22, by mid 26 they had sold well over 750,000 of them.

If you want to see some T carbs you can take a look at my website, www.strombergOF.com; bear in mind that I am not soliciting business at this time, I am desperately behind and am not taking in any repair work and orders for sales are a couple months wait.

I also do not do any T carbs newer than Holley G, there are a lot of people who rebuild NH's.

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:30 pm

The typical carburetor for a model T made in Ireland was the Zephyr (made in Leamington Spa, England) which looks very much like a straight through NH. So if you find one of those (or a straight through NH) and rebuild them combined with cleaning up your spark system and testing compression you should be set. Where in Ireland are you?

Topic author
andrew o sullivan
First Name: andrew
Last Name: o sullivan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 touring 1910 touring 1914 pickup
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by andrew o sullivan » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:21 pm

Hi There Mark Osterman im from co cork Ireland . I'm living in the county that the ford family came from . I live in cork city the ford family home is about 40 mins drive from my home . you could say the ford family left Ireland to have a better life . if they didn't go ,,,, we would not be chatting . thanks for your time

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic