Leon Parker's rewooding plans

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Ford1914
First Name: Leon
Last Name: Parker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 3
MTFCA Number: 17105
MTFCI Number: 19798

Leon Parker's rewooding plans

Post by Ford1914 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:26 pm

I am refiling all of the plans my husband, Leon Parker has done over the years. He died on Sept. 22 and I am in the process of putting them all in order, by year, plate number and hopefully will be done shortly.

I would like to sell all the prints at one time (about 230) pages, so whoever would buy them, can look them up quickly, have them reproduced and sent out quickly.

Leon would make many prints of some years so they would always be ready to go. He knew those prints backwards and forwards and I do not. I recognize many of your names and thank you for all the nice things you had to say about him. He loved his T friends and working with the cars.

I will let you all know when I have finished putting all the pages together, year by year and plate by plate. Thank you all for the support you gave him over the years. Any questions, please do not hesitate to call me 270-493-6088

If you would like to come out to see them, that can be arranged with no difficulty.

Thank you.
Barbara Parker
126 Chickasaw Bluff Rd.
Benton, KY 42025

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Leon Parker's rewooding plans

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:17 pm

This is a very thoughtful thing to do for the hobby and a nice gesture in your family's name.

Condolences to you and family. Leon helped me out years ago and I know I would not have been nearly as successful without plans.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Ford1914

Post by Ford1914 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:54 pm

Thank you Scott. We were in the process of trying to put them in order when Leon's cancer just went crazy. He was told in May there was nothing more she could do for him, and then proceeded to give him 3 extremely high doses of chemo. He lot his hair within 2 weeks and by the end of June, he had to get a walker and the end of July he was loosing his ability to walk He could only be up for a short time before he had to go back to bed. He lost the ability to speak in August and it was pretty much out of it for most of the day. I never felt it necessary to give him any more chemo if she could not save him...intead, he just got worse and worse and in Sept. we knew he was coming to the end of his journey. He tried to send a set of plans, but just , had no energy left. He just told me to do the best I could with them, following the bottom right corner with the year and the plate number. I am doing the best I can. I did most of the printing on his plans for him and enjoyed that very much. He spent many, many hours on them being correct and clean. I am hoping maybe another 2 weeks I will be at least 1/2 way through. It is hard to concentrate on doing them as I am thinking of him all the time and I have to top for awhile. When I am finished, I would appreciate you guys giving me advice on the best way to get the plan out to the right person. I know very little about them, he was hoping to take them to Chickasha one more time, and I do have his ticket and spaces available if someone would be interested. I know this is the last year. Thank you again for all your kind thoughts and I wil try and get these done as soon as I can.

Kuhner
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Kuhnash
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917, 1921 touring 1927 RPU
MTFCA Number: 28086
MTFCI Number: 21773
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Kuhner » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:20 am

Thank you for keeping these available.
I bought a set a few years ago from Leon. We emailed back and forth, and he provided a web link that I could access that had detailed photos of original wood. I assumed this was something he maintained ?
I know what you are doing is difficult and I don’t want to add on, but it would be a shame to see that great of a reference get lost.
Thank you
Greg
“I don’t like nice people. I like tough, honest people”. - Woody Hayes

Topic author
Ford1914

Post by Ford1914 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:14 pm

I have been trying to put together all of Leon's rewooding plans. It has proved to be too much for me. I wanted to put them all together by year and plate number, but he has them all over the place. I have been working steadily on them for 3 weeks and I finally hit the wall last week. I have talked to so many of you and it is just not to work for me. I don't know what I am looking at. How he kept them in order and how to find what you all were looking for is a secret I will never know. I had a cell phone where I kept all your messages, and they fazed the phone out last week and with it all my messages. I has 2 very nice people who wanted all of the plans and those are gone too. I have to admit at this point, I am not going to be able to do it. I am so overwhelmed and like everyone said, "Wait..don't try it yet...Leave it until you are ready. I didn't listen. Now, I have to admit, I cannot do this. I am so sorry, but he knew where everything was and could get it right out. How, I will never know. The last gentlemen I spoke with was an engineer and he wanted to come see the plans as he wanted them all. I figured I could get them done. I can't. They are all here...even some that were out in the garage. I had 2 calls from you that wanted all the plans...At this point, I am jut going to leave the plans (some I did manage to get done, in plate and year order, but there is SOOO much, I just cannot 40 years of work that he has done in a few months. I am going to just put it plainly...I have to sell the plans as they are. All there, guaranteed, but just in every which of a way. I can't do it. It is just way too soon for me. I look at these plans and all the work he did, and it is just a heartbreaking thing for me to try to do. He is no longer here and I can't ask him. I know how much he loved these and I know he wants you to all to continue, but I just cant. My heart is breaking every time I look at them....so please, if you want them, make me an offer and just come and get them. They are just too important to throw away or let sit in a room. You need them and I want you to have them. I am so sorry. I thought by keeping busy it would make it easier..I didn't listen. I did not want to do it this way..I wanted them all in year and plate order, but,there is also pages and pages of information that listen sent along with some of the plans explaining different things. I need to sell these now. I am home almost all of the time, so if you are interested, or if I have already spoken to you, please call me again. Same number but a new phone. I tried, I really tried. I am so very sorry that I was not able to continue. Thank you all for the nice things you said about him.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:42 pm

I'm not a good candidate to take on this project, as I'm closing in on 80 and it might be a short term solution. I hope one of the younger guys will be able to keep this resource available long term.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:51 pm

I am very good at organization and reprinting and cataloging, but the pricing would have to be insanely cheap and that would not be fair. Unless arrangement could be made to make payments to her in kind so she could benefit from the sale of the plans as well.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:57 pm

As others probably have I’ve been interested about the future use of the plans and what would become of them. It would seem to me that if the plans would eventually become the property of the MTFCA that would be the best way for them to be used and sold through the MFTCA as one of their products.
Mrs Parker is kind enough to offer them for sale as I understand it. I for one could make a donation to help buy the plans for use through the MFTCA to help promote the hobby.
If this were to happen this of course would be another source of income for the MFTCA and at the same time pay Mrs Parker for the plans.

I have a feeling that others on this forum would step up and help initially to pay for the plans as I would. This is a suggestion but the plans are a resource that needs to be made available and in my mind would be a good way to promote the hobby through Leon’s plans. If arrangements could be made to send a donation to the MFTCA that would be the way to do it.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:39 pm

John kuehn wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:57 pm
As others probably have I’ve been interested about the future use of the plans and what would become of them. It would seem to me that if the plans would eventually become the property of the MTFCA that would be the best way for them to be used and sold through the MFTCA as one of their products.
Mrs Parker is kind enough to offer them for sale as I understand it. I for one could make a donation to help buy the plans for use through the MFTCA to help promote the hobby.
If this were to happen this of course would be another source of income for the MFTCA and at the same time pay Mrs Parker for the plans.

I have a feeling that others on this forum would step up and help initially to pay for the plans as I would. This is a suggestion but the plans are a resource that needs to be made available and in my mind would be a good way to promote the hobby through Leon’s plans. If arrangements could be made to send a donation to the MFTCA that would be the way to do it.
That’s a good idea John
1924 Touring

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Post by walber » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:42 pm

I think John's idea of the plans going to the MTFCA Museum is terrific. The two challenges being funding that would be fair to Mrs Parker and a resource to organize the plans and related documents. I could be willing to contribute a few $ but don't have any expertise in the sorting and organizing.

Doug Keppler
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Keppler
MTFCA Number: 49716
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Doug Keppler » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:57 pm

That is a GREAT idea for the plans to go to the museum. Those plans need to be kept available in the mainstream of the Model T restoration community. They are a needed resource!
1924 Touring car
There's No Substitute for Proper Lubrication

Robert Kiefaber
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Kiefaber
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1906 model F, 1907 model R, 1915 centerdoor sedan, 1921 centerdoor sedan

Post by Robert Kiefaber » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:19 am

Wasn’t these plans originally made by Mel Miller?

pre15dale
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Kemmerer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 touring 1911 open runabout

Post by pre15dale » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:29 am

I have an interest in preserving these plans also but like Steve I am closing in on 80 also so I don't think it's a viable option fo me
I purchased plans fronm Leon for 1925 touring and roadster as well as the plans for the 1914 which I hope to get around to using in the near future. Anyway I would also be willing to contribute to a fund to purchase them for the museum and yes Mel Miller was the original supplier, I remember when he had them available what must have been 30 or 40 years ago

Thomas-Jull
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Jull

Post by Thomas-Jull » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:01 pm

I have not seen all of the plan sets but the ones I have seen all have a copyright by Mel Miller on them. However, Leon’s daughter has stated that Leon altered Mel’s plans to correct some errors and add additional information. That seems to have taken place many years ago as Leon had been selling the plans for quite some time. The question I have is did Leon have the original drawings that Mel did or did he just have copies. I am guessing that they are just copies.

I bet that the Miller family still has the copyright but they just don’t enforce it. However, they probably still can which would no bode well for the MTFCA if they were to sell them. I am an architect and have started new drawings for a 1924 Touring which I will not copyright but that doesn’t cover the rest of the cars.

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:39 pm

IMHO , these plans and the work of Mr. Parker and Mr. Miller would best be served by a younger person purchasing them, and continuing on the small cottage industry of supplying them. It would take someone with a strong interest in Model Ts and able to organize and carry on the business. I’m hoping someone like that would step forward and make the purchase.
Why do I say this? Although tempting to think a museum organization could handle this, and actually make money at it is foolish. I know the museum is a dedicated organization but do they really need something like this in addition to what they do? 15 years ago, I was involved in receiving and storing past president Oswald’s gift of complete engine rebuilding equipment. There was enough there to fill up a pickup truck. Gifts to museums are often gifts to a big black hole. Recently the museum asked for more donations of engine rebuilding equipment. I asked several times what happened to Mr Oswald’s generous gift from years ago. I was answered with silence, and big empty eyeballs.
Years ago in my personal life , my wife and I made some donations to a local historical society. We saw those donations later offered and sold at a local flea market. I’m not making any accusations, or trying to stir the pot, but from my life’s experiences, I believe the best way to make something disappear is to donate it to a museum. I’d also point out although this is a MTFCA forum, nobody from the board or museum has stepped forward to say what a great idea donating these plans would be. It sounds like just more work for volunteers to be asked to do. The organization and selling of these to future restorers will take someone with skin in the game. I’m still hoping there is a younger person with the incentive to pick up Mr. Millers and Mr. Parker’s hard work, and carry it on. I’m thankful Mrs Parker is kind enough to offer here , and I hope she reads this, and is able to hold out for a more dedicated person to step forward.

25 roadster john
Last Name: Pawlowski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 49635

Post by 25 roadster john » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:35 pm

What kind of money are we talking about to purchase these plans?
I agree that the MTFCA would be ideal to take on this project with proper funding and oversight. However as someone has said there hasn't been any input from the club.

ChrisB
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Brancaccio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Roadster 1915 Coupelet 1923 Coupe 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 443
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 23136
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by ChrisB » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:31 pm

This was discussed at the board meeting in November but I will let one of the directors comment.
Chris Brancaccio
MTFCA Webmaster
MTFCA Forum Admin

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Agree with Tim

Would be best for someone in the T group to take on this as a business, perhaps someone with architect/design/ drawing skills to continue or at least means of paying for inventory required with the larger printing needed for the wood plans. The plans are full scale on many parts, and can be used as cutting templates over the wood blanks.

Investment would be payed back hopefully in sales of plans, last set I got from Leon was $50 and was about 7 pages or so for a runabout. 18x24 large print copies at Staples are currently $1.75 each, so cost to re-produce a set would be $15 or so.

Barbara said 230 prints are on hand, at about $500 cost then, with retail value over $1500. Then one would have to assume the master print sets would be worth much more, as that intrinsic value of all the hard work Leon did to create the master sets. Factoring that with fairness would be proper in obtaining all and with a signed release to continue to reprint and sell from the master sets. This would perhaps be the best result for Mrs. Parker's efforts and her kindness to have someone continue the work of Leon.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Will_Vanderburg

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:16 pm

I have read the comments posted after mine, with great interest, and I have nothing against the museum at all. Having worked at a LARGE transportation museum for several years, and knowing the inner workings of a museum, if these plans went into a museum, once anything is donated to a museum, you cannot donate with stipulations. That's not how it works. You would most likely never see them again...period.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Will_Vanderburg

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:21 pm

The last set of plans I have from Mel Miller has a copyright date of either 2003 or 2005 on them.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Thomas-Jull
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Jull

Post by Thomas-Jull » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:27 pm

How could Leon legally sell them if they are Mel’s with modifications?

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:10 pm

It always comes up when discussing the plans worries about the copyright comes up. I had a set of Roadster plans which others surely also bought years ago when Miller was selling them and they had a copyright on them. Without a doubt like in my case they were sold to others needing them. And again without a doubt over the years Millers plans were copied by no telling who. I think most of us have come to that conclusion.

So the next move would be to contact his relatives to ask if they have any interest in them.
Somebody needs to do that to finally put the question of copyright to rest. My opinion is that if it hasn’t come up by now it never will. In reality there isn’t that much money to be made by selling the plans anyway and that’s the reason there won’t be much commotion made if any copying of them is the worry. The company in North Carolina and Fordwood is making wood body kits from somebody’s plans and I wonder where those plans come from.

It’s also been mentioned that maybe a younger person could buy the plans and have a small business copying and selling them. Hopefully somebody from the MTFCA is reading the comments and could offer their advice about the plans. If someone steps up and buys them more power to them. Maybe they won’t wind up in somebody’s garage and be forgotten about because they just wanted them for posterity.

Will_Vanderburg

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:23 pm

If 500 bucks is all it would take to buy them, then I would do it, but I dare say that's not all it would take.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Topic author
Ford1914

Re: Leon Parker's rewooding plans/Mel Miller

Post by Ford1914 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:00 pm

Mel Miller did not own any copyright to the ford plans Leon has been doing since the1990's. Ford owned the copyrights. When Leon started drawing them, so much of what Leon added on to his plans were things he researched over the years. After Mr. Miller died, his daughter tried to take it over but she rarely, if ever sent any out. Leon has NEVER received anything from anyone about this copyright crap. NEVER. He sold hundreds of plans he had improved, redrawn to scale and not one single person ever sent anything back. I know many of you have seen Leon's drawings and they contain everything you would need to do an entire body. They are perfect. He has many, many customers who will vouch for him. Mr. Miller has passed many years ago, so nothing belongs to him.The copywrite is a word that was put on the plans..since last week when I realized I was not going to be able to do what I planned, I have had many, many calls from people who want all the plans. I am going to have to do it that way. My daughter has taken pictures of all plans Leon has all over this room where he kept the plans. Then she took closeups to show the kind of work he did. In 30 years, he has been the one drawing these plans. He also has infor books that go along with them. I guarantee you will be more than happy with them. If a very fair price is reached, you guys can have them forever. If not, we will simply roll them up and put them away, which does no good for anyone. Mel Miller has nothing to do with Leon's plans, period. If you wish to see photos of what we took, we would be more than happy to send them to you.
Thank you, Barbara Parker. 126 Chickasaw Bluff Rd., Benton, Ky 42025 270-493-6088

Topic author
Ford1914

Post by Ford1914 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:20 pm

I appreciate all the kinds words about me wanting to sell his plans. He has workeds s o unbelievably hard on them, and through these plans and the swap meets, he has met so many great friends. I ABSOLUTELY want these plans he drew to remain for anyonone wanting to get into making the cars, or restoring them. Leon dedicated at least 3o years to doing this plans RIGHT. Anyone of you who knew him, knew that his only interest is keepting the T's alive and available for generations. They were the love of his life. Hours and hours talking to so many of you, and you can verify how accurate and complete they were. Please, anyone who I interested, please call and we will send you by photo,or come to the house and look at them. There have to be over 215 pages of completed plans (I counted them) so please don't let all his work be for nothing. I have them..I don't want them. I cannot look at them anymore, because that means he I not here. I will be more than fair on a price, along with the 2 garage's full of his T cars. He was a T person from head to toe and even told the Harrah's museum in Las Vegas that the T they were displaying was all wrong. Wrong years part on wrong years care. They didn't say much, becaue they knew he was right.

Topic author
Ford1914

Post by Ford1914 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Thomas-Jull wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:27 pm
How could Leon legally sell them if they are Mel’s with modifications?
Because Mel Miller did not own the plans. He did drawings on them, but they belonged to Ford Motor Company, This Mel Miller has been going on for years. A copyright of your product has to be renewed every 10 years ...your products. Leon has been doing them since the 90's and has been steadily improving them over the years. I only can go by what Leon has been doing all these years, and the compliments on his work. They were not complete when he got them. they are now..as to which screw belongs in which hole, ets.

Topic author
Ford1914

Post by Ford1914 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:44 pm

Thomas-Jull wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:01 pm
I have not seen all of the plan sets but the ones I have seen all have a copyright by Mel Miller on them. However, Leon’s daughter has stated that Leon altered Mel’s plans to correct some errors and add additional information. That seems to have taken place many years ago as Leon had been selling the plans for quite some time. The question I have is did Leon have the original drawings that Mel did or did he just have copies. I am guessing that they are just copies.

I bet that the Miller family still has the copyright but they just don’t enforce it. However, they probably still can which would no bode well for the MTFCA if they were to sell them. I am an architect and have started new drawings for a 1924 Touring which I will not copyright but that doesn’t cover the rest of the cars.
If youever saw a Mel Miller plan next to Leon',s that would not be an issue. He had a small amount of Mr. Miller's plans but after studying books, plamphlets, etc., Leon did them on his own. How do I know? Because I am the one who did all the printing while he did the drawing. Anyone who knew Leon knew what he was doing, and how he kept all that info in his head, Is beyond me. Many of this friends on the Forum can agree that Leon's plans were done with the utmost of care and were all correct. I am proud of what he did, because it was for you guys he did them for. It just hurts too much to see them and think that they may be lost forever.

I never asked Leon what he would sell the masters for, I know he would make at least $700-$800 per swap meet, and would sell at least 10 to 20. He did this as a side project.

DanTreace
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Thank you Barbara for offering this work of Leon's to someone to continue. Have used both plans, and Leon's are by far more detailed and correct for fitting. Used his plans for my '24 and his dimensions for the steam bent trim strip around the later bodies of this style were right on. Plus lettering is upright, straight lined and easy to read.

Wish you much success in finding the best placement of his work to help the T hobby. Best regards.

Leon Parker 23-25 runabout print.JPG
Leon Parker plans.jpg
That little bit of drawing detail is missing on this scan, but one can see , at the center bottom of the page, that 1/16" radius trimming needed to make the part right. Leon provided more details such as dimensioned locations of mounting bolts too.

Below is a Mel print, much differences in dimensioning and lettering, as his have slanted lettering, grouped tight and bit difficult to read.

Mel Miller 21-25 plans.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:16 pm

I also would like to thank Barbara for clearing up the concern about any copyright issue. Since the copyright issue has pretty much been cleared up now maybe someone who has a genuine interest in Model T’s will pick up the good work that Leon was doing. I only met him once at Chickasha years ago but did exchange emails with him about some wood questions for my 21 Touring I was building.
He was of course very helpful.
And again thanks to Barbara for allowing Leon’s work to be passed on and enjoyed for future T enthusiasts.

Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:19 pm

Barbara,
Thanks so much for offering these to the club members. Leon has been such a gift to the hobby and helped, so many get there cars back on the road.

I am sure many who don't take up this project may regret it in the future. You are a long drive from my home, so I am waiting to see who will respond.

Wouldn’t be great if we pull together some money and got the plans posted here on the Model T website for everyone to use?

Thanks again!

Matt

Topic author
Ford1914

Post by Ford1914 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:39 pm

To all of you who have written such nice things about Leon and Mel, both of them had the best interests in preserving the plans that keep your hobby growing. How Leon came into having the plans I don't remember, but from that day on, he worked, and studied, and made them as accurate as he possibly could. He had his first T when he was 17, and from then on, they were his passion. Going to Antique Swap Meets was his joy and he met so many friends that he had up until the day he could no longer do the plans. If he sent out a plan to someone and they had questions, they would call him and that could go on for hours. He loved talking about them, and he knew where everything fit, was supposed to go, etc. He read everything he could on the T's, and I have about 5oo magazines still here to prove it. He had his drawing table upstairs and would spend hours being as precise as he could. Since he still has 6 t's out in his 2 sheds he built for them, if he could find the exact part he needed he would use it for a template. The t's are all disassembled, and he never sought to put them together. It was just knowing they were there that I think he enjoyed the most. The plans he drew, but I was delegated to do 90% of the printing. I just want all of you to know that he never wanted to take anything away from what Mr. Miller did; he just wanted them to be as complete as possible. They both contributed to saving them for future t'ers and let the hobby go on. I have absolutely no idea in heaven how he knew as much as he did about them. I hope by saving the plans, he will be remembered for what his intentions were and what he contributed. Thank you all. I think it is safe to say we have all lost a member of the T family who loved it more than anything.

Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:39 am

Barbara,
I sent you an email message. But I wanted to say the following publicly:

My condolences for your husbands passing. I never meet him nor have I done business with him, but it is clear that he made a significant contribution to the hobby. And it is clear that you had a major hand in helping him! The reality is that the woodwork is the skeleton of a Model T and after 100 years many need major wood repairs. I wouldn't worry about the fact that your husband researched many sources to provide the best plans for restoring the Ford wood.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to fellow hobbyist on the forum and acknowledging your reality and desire to find someone else to continue this valuable service.

Again I wan to say thanks so much Barbara!

Matt

HornsRus
First Name: Charley
Last Name: Shaver
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913

Post by HornsRus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:24 pm

i started out with mels,but if i had not had org wood i wouldn't have got very far.i have most org wood patterns, i did about 300 wood jobs, i have tin for about 30 bodies. dont think i will do anymore. i am 76 now what to do with them???????????? charley

25 roadster john
Last Name: Pawlowski
MTFCA Number: 49635

Post by 25 roadster john » Tue May 05, 2020 11:11 am

Just curious 🤔 has there been any progress with the future of these rewooding plans?
Was a price for all the plans every established? To paraphrase American Pickers, "What's your crazy price to make this happen"? Just seems a shame that these plans will be lost.

Will_Vanderburg

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Tue May 05, 2020 4:58 pm

25 roadster john wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:11 am
Just curious 🤔 has there been any progress with the future of these rewooding plans?
Was a price for all the plans every established? To paraphrase American Pickers, "What's your crazy price to make this happen"? Just seems a shame that these plans will be lost.
IF it was, it wasn't disclosed. So maybe not?

I would be more than happy to take them on, and then make them available to those that need.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue May 05, 2020 5:58 pm

Barbara was last online on April 10th. Might I suggest sending her an E-Mail and asking.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Tue May 05, 2020 6:32 pm

That’s a good point. Email directly to the source and find out. I have a feeling there are more than a few people wanting to find out what the status is,

Mikes 1912
First Name: Lester
Last Name: Husted
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 20

Post by Mikes 1912 » Tue May 05, 2020 8:16 pm

I have called left message no response.

Musketdoc
First Name: Ralph
Last Name: Shepard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Speedster, 1923 touring

Post by Musketdoc » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:59 pm

Any update on the status of the wood plans? I recently acquired the sheetmetal for a 23 touring and want the make all the wood frame myself, but don't know where to start.

Lyndon
First Name: Lyndon
Last Name: Moore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 8
MTFCA Number: 27876
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Lyndon » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:49 pm

I can tell you that they have nothing left. I purchased the entire estate of model T and Model A. But the plans on paper, were already sold before I bought this. But there was a tremendous amount of wood patterns. There was so many truck and trailer loads of parts, that it could take me a couple years to inventory. But she is done with all of it. She has nothing left.

Lyndon

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:58 pm

It would be interesting to know who bought the wood plans but that probably won’t happen. But somebody knows who did. In the long run it would be a definite plus for the hobby if those plans could be made avaliable as copies to be bought or used to build the body wood.

OilyBill
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:13 pm

If anyone thinks getting all the drawings into a museum would be a "GOOD THING" I can tell you that you are completely and totally WRONG.

I can cite 3 instances I was involved with.
A. A gentleman in Illinois died about 15 years ago. He left a HUGE assortment of aircraft engines, many of them VERY rare. In the middle of his collection was the entire Lenape Aircraft Engine Archives. (All the blueprints, all the engineering reports, EVERYTHING connected to the Lenape Aircraft Engine. There were drawing cabinets, there were card file cabinets, there were even parts inventory) I spent 3 months begging the widow to sell me the Lanape documents. She wanted them to go to a museum instead, so that is where they went. Her statement to me was "I don't know what you will truly do with them, but if they go to this museum (name withheld to protect the guilty) I know they will be available for everyone."
Ten years later, I check with the museum to see the status of the engine files.
What engine files? They did not, or claimed they did not, know anything about them.
I knew they had them, but they either sold them off, or would not let anyone get access to them.
B. The second instance involves the EXACT SAME MUSEUM. Someone who had built a replica of a 1930's aircraft, and successfully flew it, gave all their drawings and materials to this museum to preserve. (again, so "Everyone will have access to them")
When I contacted them about THAT PARTICULAR COLLECTION, because I KNEW where it was, and I KNEW it was there, (because I talked often to the man who built the replica aircraft), I was told that they could not release any information or data on the aircraft drawings or other information, due to liability concerns.
C. The third instance concerns a famous auto collection. I will only give their initials, so no one knows it is the "Peterson Automotive Museum". They were given the entire archives for the Ralph Hamlin Collection. For those of you who don't know, Ralph Hamlin was a California dealer for Franklin automobiles, known for his publicity stunts regarding Franklin Automobiles. He was also the man who, nearly single-handedly, forced the Franklin Automobile Co to redesign their cars, because their styling had become increasingly ugly, and had reached the point of being un-sellable to consumers.
Basically, Ralph Hamlin and a small group of other dealers, forced the Franklin Co. to hire J. Frank DeCause to restyle their cars to make them saleable again. He succeeded, and Franklin sales jumped by nearly 500%. (Google the Franklin Automobile and you can read the story.)
In any case. somewhere in the Hamlin archives, are ALL the order information on ALL the Franklin cars he sold, (He sold more Franklins than any other dealer, or any other organization in the world.). I have a Franklin 11A, and I would sure like to know what color my car was when it was ordered, what fabrics and upholstery choices were made, and even perhaps who ordered it. I know Hamlin ordered this car, and sold it in 1926, but since they have never done anything with the Hamlin archives, they are not accessible to ANYONE, and may not be for years to come. So likely I will never know. Likely NO ONE will ever know.

So that is 3 really important archives that are now lost to public access.

I have already determined that NONE of my cars in my collections, none of my technical drawings, and none of my aircraft drawings are going to ANY MUSEUM, EVER, ANYWHERE!

Except for the Smithsonian, and the Henry Ford Museum, once a museum gets their hands on something, it WILL disappear. It may very well be sold off, fragmented, or just disposed of. But if you are seriously thinking of a museum to preserve that which you have collected, you better think again!

Vincent H
First Name: Vincent
Last Name: Hoebeke

Post by Vincent H » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:32 pm

Does anyone know anything about what became of these plans? I would love to see them back in circulation. I am able to make them in to digital files to make them easier to distribute. Assuming of course that it wouldn't be a copyright issue to do so and I could get my hands on some of the plans.
I want to see as many model ts on the road as possible and I'd love to be able to help by making these plans available again.
With the support of Mrs Parker (I won't bother her unless this is actually feasible) and the model t community to help obtain the plans, I'd like to digitize the plans and distribute them for free to restorers, so that we can see many more model ts back on the road.

Mark Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:42 pm

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Vincent H
First Name: Vincent
Last Name: Hoebeke

Post by Vincent H » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:49 pm

I saw that. Thats how I found this thread. I was just hoping that someone else knows something about what happened to the plans. Somebody must know something.

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:33 pm

Somebody does know what’s going on with Leon’s plans. And again hopefully they will be made available to the public in some manner.

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:36 pm

Vincent H wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:49 pm
I saw that. Thats how I found this thread. I was just hoping that someone else knows something about what happened to the plans. Somebody must know something.
Yes at least 2 people do and guess they are not talking about it. :(

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Will_Vanderburg

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:45 pm

I'd be willing to wager that you'll never see them again.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:55 pm

Say it ain’t so but I’ve thought the same thing. It’s like the Oak Island mystery. Almost but not quite.

CudaMan
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:59 pm

There are some on line wood plans here:

http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/woodplans/default.htm
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:21 pm

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

26rdstrpickup
Last Name: Morrison
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 model T pickup

Post by 26rdstrpickup » Tue May 11, 2021 6:59 pm

Any word on availability on wood plans for purchase?

Will_Vanderburg

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Tue May 11, 2021 7:55 pm

26rdstrpickup wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:59 pm
Any word on availability on wood plans for purchase?
Whoever purchased these is being very tight lipped about it.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue May 11, 2021 8:10 pm

Never mind, I miss read the date this was first posted.
Last edited by Mark Gregush on Wed May 12, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 pm

If anything would help the Model T hobby this is it! We talk from time to time about bringing younger people into the hobby. When wood plans for T’s are available it makes it a lot easier for people to get interested and not lose interest in restoring T’s.
There are maybe a few sources of plans available but not to the general T hobbiest and that’s what’s frustrating. You have to hunt and search and know the right people to use them and that’s not right folks! Unfortunately that’s an issue and having plans readily available is a life saver for the hobby. We should fulfill Leon’s idea of making them available to everyone in some way. Somebody out knows what’s going on with them that’s for sure. Hopefully they aren’t sitting in someone’s store room with the idea of saving them for posterity.

JTT3
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:17 pm

Just a suggestion, it will require a sacrifice in the way of a donation of something you may have bought. Over the years there must be several folks still active that purchased Leon’s plans, would you be willing to copy them full size and submit the copy to the museum. The Board would need to appoint someone to oversee this project. Once the Museum receives a copy, catalog it and have it available for people to order a copy for a fee plus copy cost. This may require Mrs Parker to give her blessings on it, I don’t know but based on what I read from her in this thread, she & Leon wanted these preserved and available for the T community. The Museum could inform members of what plans are available in the magazine. Again if the goal is to keep the hobby going & make sure Leon’s life work is not lost to time. It is an option that should be pursued. I’ll start a new thread where each person that has a complete set of the Parker plans state the year and model of the plan. By doing this we’d reduce to much duplication and make the project manageable. Let’s see how many respond to the new thread. It will be tough I’m sure because most of us are capitalists and giving something away vs selling it seems contrary to the afore mentioned moniker but it would be good for the hobby and future enthusiast. Perhaps because most board members of the club/Museum are T owners they won’t be lost or discarded but rather used and sold to preserve the hobby. As a (forced) reformed hoarder, I now see clearly that having all the T stuff & future projects I’d never finish, didn’t serve anyone but me. We can do this if our better angles persevere.

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Wed May 12, 2021 8:46 am

Just digitize them and make the files available. People can go to kinkos and have prints made whatever size they need. Easy

JTT3
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:29 pm

Danny love the idea, a hurdle to jump over is technical experience to do that. I totally agree that it would be the easiest solution. They could be available on the resource tab on the MTFCA WEBSITE. To be effective you’d have to have a scale option so when enlarged the plan for each piece would be the correct scale. I like it! Are you volunteering to help make that a reality? Of course we need input from the Board & Museum to make that viable. Board Members please give us some input to your willingness to be part of a much needed resource for the community.

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Wed May 12, 2021 3:35 pm

Yes I would help any way I can.
We have multiple copy shops local to me in Oxford Ohio as Miami university is here. I could get them scanned and you guys decide who takes care of the files.

I also work for a large printing company that has large format scanners

robertw413
First Name: robert
Last Name: wright

Post by robertw413 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:36 pm

Not sure if this has been asked on a different thread. If it hasn't been, I'll start a new thread and maybe have a place to keep track of who has what. -- What plans do you all have? I have wood plans/drawings for 15 - 22 Roadster.

CudaMan
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:28 am

What ever happened with this? Did the plans go to the MTFCA Museum, or did someone else pick them up so that they are again available for sale?
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:54 am

I started to mention this a couple of months back but didn’t. Glad it’s been brought up again.
And again as others have been wondering what’s going on with the plans.

Somebody knows out there. Why all the secrecy?

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:40 pm

I can't substantiate this, but a chap I met at the winter clinic last week told me Leon's plans ended up with a guy in Arkansas who is sitting on them. Will they become available? I have no clue.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Will_Vanderburg

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:33 pm

Exactly what I thought happened.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:31 pm

If this is so he must think he’s doing the Model T hobby some kind of favor? Could that be it?

Why all the secrecy.

Mark Gregush

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:09 pm

"Why all the secrecy." I have wondered that from the start of this whole mess, why not just come forward and sell copies of the sets of plans.

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic