When a novice drops a washer.......

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

When a novice drops a washer.......

Post by TonyB » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:34 pm

A Model T came into the workshop a week or so ago. The novice owner had dropped a washer while changing bands, couldn’t find it so ran the motor. It lasted about 30 minutes then stopped with a Big Bang.

Today I managed to get the hogshead off, made more difficult as something was stopping the starter from coming out.

The other damage was quite extensive as the hogs head is cracked and the pan has holes.

This is what I found when I removed the hoghead
This is what I found when I removed the hoghead
Sorry about the wrong order, I have not yet mastered getting the pictures where I want ☹️☹️
Attachments
There is a star crack
There is a star crack
Hole is the pan
Hole is the pan
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: When a novice drops a washer.......

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:23 am

Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive: "My, my, my, my my. What A Mess!"
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

25 roadster john
First Name: John
Last Name: Pawlowski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 49635

Post by 25 roadster john » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:36 am

Must have been a fairly large washer.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 am

Ouch! Time for a complete rebuild of transmission, flywheel, starter and magneto! My grandma said something which applied to sewing, but also could be applied to a T. "A stitch in time saves nine". Even if he had to pull the hogs head to get the washer, he would have saved much time and money. Better check the crankshaft too. Such an abrupt stop could put quite a strain on it.
Norm

Marty Bufalini
First Name: Marty
Last Name: Bufalini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring

Post by Marty Bufalini » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Really? All that from one dropped Washer?

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:54 pm

That's just ugly !!
I wager he won't forget that lesson...EVER !! :cry:

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:55 pm

One little washer is like one little domino. Drop it, and a whole long line of them can topple over!

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:57 am

Wow...when I think how far from home, and how fast he could've been driving in those 30 minutes makes me shiver. Lucky
nothing worse, nor no one apparently hurt. These things can be like a bomb exploding sometimes. I've always wondered about the benefit of "lining" the underside of the floorboards with sheet metal to maybe offer a bit more occupant protection in the event of a catastrophic failure of this sort.

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:51 am

I'm not saying that a washer did not cause this, but...

isn't that damage consistent with part of the magneto breaking free and the chain reaction of destruction that can follow?
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:53 am

And, let me ask, did you get permission from the "novice owner" to post pictures of his engine which you are working on?
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:10 am

Must have been a fairly large washer.
. Well the guy was changing bands, so I'd imagine it was a band washer. They're big and stout.
Really? All that from one dropped Washer?
. A momentary wedging of that washer and a magnet breaks, a keeper comes off the brass screw, and the whole thing will come to pieces with impressive results.
And, let me ask, did you get permission from the "novice owner" to post pictures of his engine which you are working on?
. Tom, you're kidding, right?
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:26 am

. Tom, you're kidding, right?
[/quote]

Not kidding at all.

The "novice owner" might not want pictures of his engine posted on a public forum along with the "fact" that the damage is from a washer he dropped into the engine.

Would you take your car to a repair shop that posted pictures of the problem and said your ignorance caused it?

noelchico
First Name: Noel
Last Name: Chicoine
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 roadster, 1923 Touring, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25420
MTFCI Number: 22686

Post by noelchico » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:44 am

I'm no attorney, but no names or location were placed with the picture, so there is no way I can identify who the owner of the mishap vehicle is. I agree, Tom, that maybe the correct thing would have been to ask permission of the owner if you could post pictures to other model T owners to perhaps prevent a similar mishap in their cars. Also, assure him that no personal information is used. Noel

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:55 am

Answer to Tom Hicks.
When a piece of iron or steel is dropped into the transmission, if it should happen to contact one of the magnets on the magneto, it will be forced around the magneto at the speed of the flywheel. Should it come in contact with the plate which is attached with a brass screw to the poles of the magnet and tear off that plate and eventually touch something else such as the poles on the magneto coil or the starter shaft and it happens that the magnet breaks at the weak point of the V. The magnet will come off with force and hit whatever is in line with it.

Yes it could happen to any magnet without a washer, but the washer is most likely what caused it in that case. I once had the funnel of my oil line come in contact with the magnet and it tore off the funnel and immediately cut the magneto coil. I didn't know what had happened for about 10 years, because I drove on battery for those years and since I had an outside oiler, i had no problem with the engine bearings. Later when I was restoring another T , I rewound an extra magneto coil and decided to install it in the first Model T. When I pulled things down, I found what had happened to the magneto. Fortunately the funnel was laying down in the bottom of the crankcase and caused no further damage.
Norm

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:00 pm

I am not saying it is a legal matter. But maybe ethical? Or politeness? Just because no names or locations are posted does not mean that info can't be figured out. I can't put my finger on it, but something just does not seem right here. It is as if the repair shop is mocking the "novice owner".

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:02 pm

As a chance to show others what can happen if you leave stray objects in a transmission? No, I would not mind. For example, you seem skeptical that a washer could do that damage thinking that this damage is from a broken magneto. Well, you were 1/2 right, and you also just learned that something as inocuous as an errant washer CAN be the Root Cause to a broken magneto. Isn't that a good thing? I can guarantee you that SOMEONE reading this in the future will save themselves the expense and trouble of this damage, and go fish that dang washer out when they drop it. It isn't something to fool with or ignore. In my opinion, what Tony did was a public service, and nothing more. I doubt I am alone in this thinking, but will retire from this topic and let the stone-throwers have at it...
Scott Conger

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Yes, the washer was probably the problem.

If the owner wanted to post what he had done I would have no problem with it.

It does not seem right to me that the repair shop would post it without the "novice owner's" permission, even as a public service.

But I recognize that everyone has varying levels of what they consider right and wrong.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:14 pm

I
Good deed stating that a new owner had this happen. Many before likely too. Do feel pain in his happening, but the issue of ignorance of the new owner was never posted. For many its a good lesson in the dynamics of the spinning Ford flywheel magneto and plantary transmission.

Suspect that many new T owners don't have the Owners Manual or the Service Manual at first, and the warnings in the Ford Owner's manual are there.
IMG_0002.JPG
Early manuals give a Caution, the later manual for the demountable bands gives that caution in BOLD face!
IMG_0003.JPG
For that caution in the manual , "good wire or cord attached" my buddy when the inspection door is off, is a tough dental floss. Wrapped on all the little pieces....
IMG_2811 (1024x768) (2).jpg
IMG_2813 (1024x768).jpg
Lace the nut and washer and after placing, the floss can be busted away with ease.

But do heed the Ford Service Manual @ paragraph 519. When placing the hogshead on engine assembly "good plan to install the door on the trans. cover temporarily" One time forgot that, and had a handful of caps screws and lock washers for the hogshead fastening and out of the palm fell a lock washer
:shock:

The hogshead was already sealed down, and was facing removing it, but very lucky that lock washer could be seen on the clutch spring gaps and retrieved it :?

So....careful when that trans. door is off. Have learned from another on this forum to also remove the ignition key when that door is off! The abyss below is a hazard for loose pieces.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

TTtom
Last Name: Beckett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 TT Truck
MTFCA Number: 50171

Post by TTtom » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Dan,
Great advice about the dental floss! These type of tips are why I now read the forum religiously. I am just about to change my bands and have lots of rags for stuffing per Milt Webb and now floss, which really makes me less tentative. Love all you experienced and knowledgable guys sharing!!

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:08 pm

One way to prevent dropping nuts and washers in is to stuff rags in around the drums to catch any dropped items. Just be sure you count the rags and take out the same number you put in.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

BobD
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Doris
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout, 1930 Sport Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32538
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by BobD » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:13 pm

TTtom wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:06 pm
I am just about to change my bands and have lots of rags for stuffing per Milt Webb and now floss, which really makes me less tentative. Love all you experienced and knowledgable guys sharing!!
Just don’t do what I did and leave a rag in there. Although I only hand cranked the engine, the rag got caught in the triple gears and locked up the works. Took over 2 hours of digging with various picks to remove what was left of the rag. :(

Edit, as per Steve J. The one I left in was out of sight. Counting will indeed be added to my checklist.

JimDix
First Name: James F
Last Name: Dix
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring, 1921 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 7082
MTFCI Number: 14604

Post by JimDix » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:24 pm

Dental floss has many uses, that's a new one. Duly noted. Thankyouverymuch!

DanTreace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring

Post by DanTreace » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:37 pm

Jim

You are welcome. I learned early using the rags, but one time a nut fell into the rag folds, and could not be found.
Can guess what then occurred as the rag was being most carefully pulled up to expose that nut :oops:

So learned of the floss wrap and now no worrying. Only one time, was pulling the cotter pins from the clutch screws and my single loop floss came apart, from the clamping of the needle nose pliers, just barely saving that cotter pin from falling in.

Now when doing real pulling on parts or for extra 'safe satisfaction', am using two strands of dental floss, doubling the strength of my 'cord' :)

And use floss on those cotter pins for install and removal, but now the tool is a miniature locking vise grip needle nose on the cotter pin!
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Dan

all good stuff...one thing I make sure of is that clutch finger cotter pins are spread sufficiently to not come out, but NEVER clinched like for rods, kingpins, etc., and NO cotter comes out without being tied off to floss first.
Scott Conger

DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Scott

Yep. Safe than Sorry ;) Sometimes a length of small stiff wire can be a good 'cord' too. :D

IMG_4222.JPG
IMG_4223.JPG

Topic author
TonyB

Post by TonyB » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:24 pm

I remember many years ago working on the Coupe with the transmission door off and the key in the ignition. Yes the inevitable happened and the damn key fell into the bowl of the transmission. I had to pull the motor, expensive lesson.
I posted this as a caution note to novices and no disrespect to the novice owner. Another expensive lesson.
Attachments
This is what I pulled out of the bottom of the pan
This is what I pulled out of the bottom of the pan
Theis the remains of the coil ring
Theis the remains of the coil ring
Remains of the magnets
Remains of the magnets
View when I removed the hogs head
View when I removed the hogs head
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Hey Tony! Wow, that one IS a mess! However, it is not nearly the worst I have ever seen. I think it was Erik Barrett posted one a couple years ago that was worse. And almost fifty years ago, I went to the Turlock swap meet where a fellow had a model T engine he had found in a barn. It had been sitting for decades, removed from its car and not touched. The engine was not for sale, he took it as a display item only because he was so amazed by it. It had splayed out the hogshead, blew a hole in the pan large enough to drop a whole magnet through it, and broke at least two transmission drums into pieces.
About half the time, a band washer, nut or small bolt gets left in? It finds its way into a safe spot, and can hide there for years of driving (often hung onto by a magnet). About half the time, it hits a bad spot and causes trouble, like Norman Kling and his oil funnel, the damage is relatively minor and the car can keep going (sometimes for many years) (and even an oil funnel mostly thin sheet metal can wedge in the wrong spot and cascade a massive blowup!).
Ten probably, maybe twenty percent of the time, a small item left in the transmission/engine will cause a major breakage. Maybe five percent of the time it will cause a massive blowup.
So. Advice for ALL. If some little thing gets dropped in? Like Dirty Harry with a big gun pointed in your face. Do you feel lucky?

Another piece of advice for all. When working on your engine. Even if only a hogshead off in the car. Take a minute to look closely at all the magnets on the flywheel. Twice so far, with engines others had put together, I have found a bolt or washer hanging onto a magnet. I felt SO much better when driving the car later knowing that time-bomb wasn't there.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:03 pm

Tom, all of us begin with Model Ts as "novices" no one need take offense, and the caution this threads provides is a public service reminder for all of us, I think.
I also have a lot of faith in our model T "community's" ability to be resilient about our mistakes and take them with good humor. The thread titles " have you ever made a stupid mistake" pretty well bears this out.
"Get a horse !"

Topic author
TonyB

Post by TonyB » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Thanks Rich
I was getting concerned that I had overstepped yet again
By the way the owner has decided to let me fix it properly, which is great news. 😊😊
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California

Oldav8tor
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 pm

Wow! Very important info - thanks for sharing.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:26 pm

TonyB wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 pm
I was getting concerned that I had overstepped yet again
By the way the owner has decided to let me fix it properly, which is great news. 😊😊
Well, I am opinionated, and that is not always a good thing. You have shared well known, but valuable information. It is difficult to post of someone doing this without making them look either ignorant or stupid. I feel it is one thing for someone who makes a mistake to post of it, it is another thing to post of other's mistakes. It is like you are making fun of them, or showing your superiority. Something about the way you shared it bothers me, but bothers no others on the forum, so obviously it is just me being me.

Since you told the owner you shared his mistake on the forum so everyone can read about it, and the owner does not mind, there is NO problem. How he feels about it is what really matters.

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:50 pm

Here is another one to look at. It was being towed when it came apart. It destroyed the firewall, floor boards, coil box, and broke the starter snout off, as well as breaking the exhaust manifold off. . It was in a TT truck and the entire inside of the cab was covered in oil. Even the ceiling. This was a customers truck from sometime about 1990. I have posted these before and yes the owner knew I was posting them.
Attachments
exploded transmission  (6).jpg
exploded transmission  (5).jpg
exploded transmission  (4).jpg
exploded transmission  (3).jpg
exploded transmission  (2).jpg

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:28 am

Every time I read this topic title, I can't help fitting it to music, as in the 1966 hit song "When a Man Loves a Woman" (Percy Sledge). More lyrics, anyone ?
"Get a horse !"

John Warren
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:52 am

Those things can really explode! Makes me worry about just going over 40. :0
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:12 am

Rich Bingham wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:28 am
Every time I read this topic title, I can't help fitting it to music, as in the 1966 hit song "When a Man Loves a Woman" (Percy Sledge). More lyrics, anyone ?
When a novice drops a washer....you can sit back and watch it explowowode !!! :shock:

26TRoadster
Last Name: Lloid
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Roadster/ 26 RPU/ 26 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by 26TRoadster » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:20 am

Wow. That's terrible. That would ruin a day

dobro1956
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring

Post by dobro1956 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:00 pm

I did not tell the "rest of the story". The TT was a nice original body, wood cab truck. The new owner could not get it running because it was in the winter time and very cold. He lived less than five miles away so they decided to tow it home. (the previous owner was out of state at the time, so he had no input into the event) The new owner was in the truck when it exploded. The only thing that saved him was he had on full winter clothing. Carhart coveralls, ski mask, heavy gloves and boots. he also wore glasses. He said when the transmission exploded, it felt like his knees went behind his ears. He said it almost turned him upside down. Him and every square inch of the inside of the cab was covered in hot oil. The pictures show the engine as I removed it, It looked worse before I removed the engine because all the floorboards and wood firewall were splintered to shreds, The entire transmission assembly was in the seat beside where the owner was sitting. When the flywheel broke it allowed the entire transmission assembly to come out as one piece. One of the triple gears went completely thru the driver side door. How it missed the guys legs is a miracle. The moral of this story is "do not tow a model T" They made it about 2 miles. I was able to salvage the motor, and the transmission drums were all still useable. I replaced the hogs head, oil pan, starter, flywheel and magneto, exhaust manifold, and a few other things. They steam cleaned the inside of the cab, replaced the firewall, coil box, floor boards, and fixed the hole in the door. The truck is still running today...

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Thus one of the reasons the NHRA requires "scatter shields" !

donald4ham
First Name: Donald
Last Name: Goodwin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring

Post by donald4ham » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:46 pm

as far as the truck transmission coming apart, i am new to the game and have heard that you do not tow a T, but what made the trans fly apart like it did if the engine was not running? and how would the oil be hot? Just a little confused. Also, would it be feasible to make a light weight tow dolly to place under the rear wheels if there was need to pull the vehicle, just a thought.

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:06 pm

The owner was a novice. He probably removed the transmission inspection plate and dropped a washer in before they started towing.

Not sure why the poster asked the owner if he could post pictures, but he did, so everything is OK!

DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:24 pm

donald4ham wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:46 pm
would it be feasible to make a light weight tow dolly to place under the rear wheels if there was need to pull the vehicle
No, you cannot in any way pull a T backward on a dolly under the rear wheels. The T can only go in very very slow reverse, as the steering geometry can't be controlled.

To move a dead T, push it on a flatbed tow truck and haul away, or push up on a trailer and tow the trailer with T on it.

Towing a dead T on all fours makes the rear end turn the drive line, since there is no neutral in the trans. Any tow 'in neutral' at a speed will overheat oil and lockup trans discs. If a dead T is towed in high gear, the engine turns, creating some oil splash, but even with spark plugs out, to relieve compression strain, its just too much load, heat, and wear at any speed other than a crawl. If you like your T, don't tow it on all fours.

dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:52 pm

Dan is correct. The trans clutch disc were warped and very blue, almost welded together. The three thrust washers were welded together. When towing any distance, disc's are turning inside the clutch till they finally get so hot they lock up and then they start turning the engine. I am guessing, but I think when the engine started turning is when something came loose. The guy said they did not get over 30 miles an hour, but at that speed how many rpms would a TT rear end be turning the engine. ?? At the time I did not do a CSI investigation into the mishap, but I always felt like the clutch disc's locked up and the rpms then destroyed the engine. As to the owner knowing if I used the pictures. He was there when I took the pictures, I told him I wanted the pictures to show others "what not to do" and he had no problems with it. This had nothing to do with a dropped washer. I posted these as another example of "what could happen" Seems like every time something gets posted, someone jumps in with something negative to say. :(

OK Ill crawl back in my cave now ..............

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428

Post by Bob McDaniel » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:12 pm

If we never see pictures like this we all know someone will do it again. I would hate to see someone destroy a nice Model T or even worse get hurt or killed because no body told them not to pull it down the road. This is what this forum is for, to help others learn from our or others mistakes. I say we need more of this type of post. Who would have thought this could happen from just pulling a car a short distance or any distance for that matter?
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:24 pm

The clutch pack dries out very quickly without the flywheel churning the oil around.
Then everything goes wrong.

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:10 am

Yes, this is one of the most important reasons for this and other forums! To help spread knowledge and experience, and help others to learn to NOT make serious, dangerous, and expensive mistakes. As long as reasonable care to not expose the unwilling names is taken? There should be NO problem with such postings or threads.

For whatever it is worth. It has been debated many times what the maximum towing limit should be for a disabled T. There is no hard and simple number for it. However roughly two tenths of a mile, and not over 5 mph is a decent limit. NO MORE!

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:10 am

dobro1956 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:52 pm
I posted these as another example of "what could happen" Seems like every time something gets posted, someone jumps in with something negative to say. :(
I take it I am the "someone"?

As I age I see changes in decorum that would not have occurred back in the day. And a lack of understanding of the English language.

We are all born ignorant. "Ignorant" is not a bad word. Ignorance is not knowing something because one has not been exposed to it. Ignorant is not the same as "stupid".

Stupid is lacking the ability to learn or understand, a basic lack of common sense.

Now let's take the title of this thread, "When a novice drops a washer......." A "novice" is someone who is new to a field or situation. By definition a novice is ignorant of the field or situation. If they were not ignorant of the field or situation they would not be a novice.

When a novice makes a mistake it is understandable, they made the mistake due to ignorance. So there is no insult in saying a novice is ignorant in the field he is a novice in.

Dropping a washer in a transmission and running an engine, Model T or otherwise, shows a great deal of ignorance not only of Model T's, but of anything with moving parts.

But when the OP refers to the washer dropping owner as a novice he is saying the washer dropping owner is ignorant, not only of Model T's but of anything with moving parts.

And when the OP refers to the washer dropping owner as a novice the Op is putting himself in a position of superiority where everyone on the forum can have a good laugh at the novice. And then other posters rush to the OP's defense saying it is a public service to show the problems a washer can cause. The ends justify the means. But there are other means to reach the same end.

The polite thing to do (in my opinion) would be ask the owner if it was OK to post his problems on the a public forum and then go from there with a title like, "Disastrous Results from a washer dropped in a transmission". There is no need to say the owner is a novice.

But, as I said in a previous post, that is just me. I think the OP was rude to post this thread without asking the owner first. No one else on the forum sees it my way. So, yeah, I am that "someone". So Y'all carry on, but you might want to consider how anyone who is a novice that comes to this forum would consider this thread, and that having their T worked on could result in their problems posted without their knowledge in the name of a public service announcement.

Bottom line is the OP has now told the owner of this thread and the owner has no problem with it.

Inthegarage
Last Name: Mosher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster pick up
MTFCA Number: 49626

Post by Inthegarage » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:40 am

I have no explanation on what happened here. I was driving along and I heard click,click and then BANG !! Towed it home opened the transmission cover and wow! It even broke the pinion gear.
Attachments
184123D2-4E01-41AA-8C83-8C161A503ADF.jpeg
2B1CE069-1FFE-4E93-ABCD-20BD8D354265.jpeg

DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:20 am

John

That is a mess indeed. Lots of grief.

Saw transmission look like that only once. Owner built speedster on the sands in Ormond Beach antique car timed runs. Great fun day. Anyway he had just gotten underway, rear tires throwing sand, then oops :o he stalled fast.

Later he looked in the cover plate and told me the low drum was in pieces. Viewed it back at his garage with hogsheads off and drum was in multiple pieces. Later he told me pieces and threads of lining were everywhere, had to dissemble the entire motor to clean it.

Topic author
TonyB

Post by TonyB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:08 pm

We use to have a guy in the local club who built fast Ts. One day he decided to return home on the freeway doing over 50mph and his reverse drum let go. Bits flew everywhere. The hogshead shattered and bits came thru the floor narrowly missing the driver.
Mind you he used the reverse for a brake, which is usually considered a bad idea.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Donnie Brown...

I didn't see it mentioned, but there maybe needs to also be a never ever clause on TT's being tug towed even with plugs out....

I just did the math in my head and if I did it right, at 30 MPH, even for a little bit, that crankshaft (and ergo the flywheel) is spinning at 2400 RPM? A T car with standard rear would only do half that.

dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:10 am

George. I figured that the engine explosion was probably caused by the excessive RPMs The thing that I have always wondered about is, what did it sound like in that truck cab before the engine exploded. . Most of us have trained ourselves to "listen, and hear" what is going on with the engine. It must have sounded terrible just from the rpms of the engine.

I think of the movie National Lampoons Vacation. The scene where the cop pulls the Griswalds over. The cop comes to the window of the car holding a dog collar on a rope. It seems Mr Griswald tied their pet dog to the rear bumper before they left on vacation, and forgot to untie and load the dog when they left. The cop says the poor dog kept up with the car for the first mile or so and then :( :( poor dog. I think the poor model T engine kept up for the first mile or so, then :( :( . poor model T engine ..........

BUSHMIKE
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Cushway
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 TT, 1926 TT, 1926 TT
MTFCA Number: 52588

Post by BUSHMIKE » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:26 pm

THANK YOU ALL for all the informative input in this thread. I had no idea that you should not tow a T. I do now. It all makes perfect sense.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:49 pm

A friend of mine bought a hot rod Chevy 327 cheap. It was known to have suffered some kind of damage while running. He assumed it had a loose rod. It looked OK on the outside. Disassembly, which didn't take long, revealed that most of the internal parts were in pieces in the oil pan. The block, both heads, most of the valves, camshaft, crankshaft, lifters, all 8 pistons, all 8 rods, timing set, and the oil pump were all destroyed. After removing the heads and oil pan, which had a slight bulge on one side, there wasn't much left to disassemble.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:08 pm

I will say this,If I were a novice in T's, or anything else,and I made a mistake that prompted this type of damage,I would be appalled if my mechanic DID NOT share the situation to prevent others from suffering the same issue.
I would think and believe 1 of the purposes of this group is to educate people,both novice and the experienced.
TO do anything less would be a determent to the hobby.Not a asset.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:22 pm

As I suspect with others when BUSHMIKE responded to this old thread I (re)read the earlier posts.

Having done so I was sufficiently bothered at what I read to send Tom Hicks a private email. I said in that email I wasn't going to respond to the thread publically (let sleeping whatevers lay), but Mack's post has changed that, given his comment on what I view as privacy issues...

As it happens I agree with Tom, I would not want photographs of my possessions posted in a public forum without my permission, nor would I be likely to appreciate unnecessary pre-nominals being used in the telling of a story about me. Privacy matters, and while it clearly means more to some than others I don't consider it's a difficult thing to simply ask permission before posting?

I also said in my email "I doubt that Tony thought anything of it when he posted the photos and made the comment in the way he made it, it certainly wouldn't have been malicious...".

To avoid doubt, my post here is not about castigating the OP, rather it is a general observation of how some of us view etiquette in such matters, and in this regard I think Tom made some good points.

Otherwise I do agree with you, Mack, about education. This forum is a wonderful resource for rapid and widespread dissemination of information, however with that comes some responsibility in how we use it.

Luke.

Oldav8tor
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:56 pm

As a recent novice, I appreciate it when guys post such information as is on this thread as it has helped me avoid some bone-headed stunts. I freely share what I've learned with other novices.... Isn't that the Model T way?

Thanks Tony for posting the photos and starting this thread.
Last edited by Oldav8tor on Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:28 pm

Well I must admit,I hope "Hipa "doesn't start applying to cars! :lol:
I guess the privacy thing is there is not that many T's out there and it could be identified in some way.
I guess I am not as educated on some things as I need to be as I can't see a issue with showing a cars innards.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

fredserfass12
First Name: FRED
Last Name: SERFASS
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Number: 52387

Post by fredserfass12 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:57 am

This post reminded me of when I was changing bands many years ago on a Model T for the first time. Not being careful enough I dropped a band nut down into the transmission. I removed the hogshead, stuffed a rag between the ring gear and the transmission housing and turned over the engine by hand. the teeth on the ring gear caught the rag and as it rotated around the rag brought the nut up with it, much to my relief. Needless to say i never let that happen again.

JTT3
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:55 pm

…—- … —— …. ———
Last edited by JTT3 on Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:34 pm

I have been reading the recent postings to this old thread, mostly thinking it should have been left for search engines to find for those that need it. However, did I miss something? I didn't see anything where Tony B identified the "novice", or any photo that could identify the car for anyone that wasn't already "in the know" about it. I think Tony did a fine job of limiting potentially sensitive information.

Old photos can be a difficult subject. A lot of us enjoy them. But sometimes there are potential issues with families. A lot of things, including census information, cannot be published for fifty years. That is not quite a legal standard, but is often used as a guideline for other things like unidentified photos.
I have literally thousands of era photos on my computer! MOST of them harvested from websites over the past twenty years. And there are a few there that were shared by people I know, involving their families. Those, I will not share as I do not have their permission to share them. However, photos that have appeared in numerous websites over several years? I don't see a problem with sharing for educational purposes.
Like putting the genie back in the bottle. Once it is out there? It is OUT there!

JTT3, I used to hear that one as
"Two rules for a better life.
1) Don't sweat the small stuff!
2) It is all small stuff! "

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:53 pm

Knock off the critisizim. Tony didn't name anyone nor identify the car. Only ones who might know who it is are local club members who either saw it or talked to the owner. A lot can be learned by this post. I have had something similar happen to one of mine when I was a "novice". In my case it was a bolt from the driven plate to the brake drum which came out and damaged the starter ring gear. It locked up and fortunately I could push it out of the road. Mine was even safety wired, however the threads in the drum were cracked and the bolt came out.It happened before I had a trailer so had to borrow one to get the car home. So even if someone doesn't drop something in , something can break and fall in. That is one reason to check all parts and be sure they are in good condition when working on the cars. It's much better and safer to see posts such as this than it to wait till it happens to you and then search for the cause.
Norm

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:00 pm

Norman et al

take a closer look...the closest thing to criticism happened 3 YEARS AGO and was issued forth by someone who's sole purpose in life seemed at the time, to stir the pot on this Forum. This is an oddly resurrected thread.

Have some Eggnog ;)
Scott Conger

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:36 am

I would not mind at all if, in an effort to educate and inform, my mistake and my engine was used to show others what not to do. If one cannot learn from his or others mistakes, what good has come from it? This is a very common mistake that can happen to anyone, novice or veteran. With over 15 million Model T’s manufactured, it has probably happened at least 15 million times or more. Only difference is, the veteran should know not to start the engine until the washer has been extracted. Like most of you… before I start working on the transmission, I stuff both sides tightly with rags. Lowe’s sells nice clean white cotton rags by the bag. After I have both sides tightly packed, I take two big rags and lay it smoothly over the packed rags on each side and tuck it on all sides leaving the top smooth. This eliminates any folds or wrinkles a washer or nut could get lost in. Jim Patrick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic