The new I timer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Charles J
First Name: Charles
Last Name: Jenkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28066
Board Member Since: 2017

The new I timer

Post by Charles J » Sat May 16, 2020 6:43 pm

Would like to hear from people who have used one are they worth the money my car runs good but it needs to be richen up a bit to start and then you can lean it back down when it warms up just wonder if one of these might help on that THE NEW I TIMER

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: The new I timer

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat May 16, 2020 7:07 pm

......No.....
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat May 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Aaaaand the debate begins!!! ;)

KirkieP
First Name: Kirk
Last Name: Peterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Touring 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 345
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 141

Post by KirkieP » Sat May 16, 2020 7:44 pm

The I timer requires no maintenance.
Kirk Peterson
Santa Fe NM

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sat May 16, 2020 8:16 pm

Charles
What you describe is just NORMAL operation for a carbureted engine. NO ignition system will solve this.
IF you want your T to start and run like a modern COMPUTERIZED engine then I can certainly advise you on that BUT it will not come cheap and will look pretty obvious. I am just completing a conversion to a original 67 Mercury truck with the original 352 engine (and C6 automatic)

Topic author
Charles J

Post by Charles J » Sat May 16, 2020 8:54 pm

I already know that it doesn't require maintenance and I'm not asking questions about some other car I'm just trying to find out if anybody has used one and what they think of it

Topic author
Charles J

Post by Charles J » Sat May 16, 2020 8:55 pm

I already know that it doesn't require maintenance and I'm not asking questions about some other car I'm just trying to find out if anybody has used one and what they think of it this is the ninth Model T that I've owned I understand the workings of them I'm just simply want to know if the I timer is worth the money

fbergski
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Berg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring 1916 Coupelet

Post by fbergski » Sat May 16, 2020 9:09 pm

I have one on my 16 coupelet, no issues to report.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat May 16, 2020 9:40 pm

There is no debate.

The actual question the OP asked was, in essence, will an I Timer negate the need to richen up the carb mixture to start like I am doing now...

the answer to THAT question is still "no"
Scott Conger

KirkieP

Post by KirkieP » Sat May 16, 2020 10:21 pm

Scott is right.
I like the timer.
And I have had no issues.
Kirk Peterson
Santa Fe NM

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun May 17, 2020 8:25 am

I-Timer could help you with cold starts. Of course the carb is part of the equation, but hard starting can be ignition related.

The I-Timer made my ‘27 now have super fast starts, no carb adjustment, just a press of the foot switch, and umpthoomt, running in a second.
Believe it has to do with that no contact rotor, no interruption of timer contacts from grease, cold, or whatever, the T just comes alive.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun May 17, 2020 9:45 am

Dan

I suspect that while the timer will aid in ingnition efficiency, I suspect that your living in FL and Charles living in Ohio, there will be more need in Ohio to enrichen the mixture to start than in Florida. If he is running an NH and eventually has a car that starts all of the time without adjustment, then it will be because it is running very rich, all of the time. He could do that now, with the timer he has.

Charles

the I Timer works just fine, and likely better than original equipment. There are carbs that work better than original equipment, and some suppliers manage to convince some people that lawn mower carbs are better than the real thing. A distributor to replace the coils does a good job, quickly, of removing some of the last sounds and feel of owning an antique vehicle. There are disk brakes to consider as well as those stop a whole lot better than original brakes. In fact if you want to meet folks on tour, stop hard and quick on a steep hill and you'll meet all sorts of people very quickly.

There is no end to improvements you can make to your car. They did it in the '20's and still doing it today. It just depends on whether you wish to drive an antique car or just another used car.

It really depends on what it is that you wish to drive...I've driven many thousands of miles in all sorts of conditions from flat-lands to mountains, from freezing to broiling...all in a car equiped with original equipment. I have yet to break down and never failed to start on time or get home when I expected. What else would I want?

One of my visitors to the ranch was an Englishman who was writing about his travels across America in a Model T. He came in on a flatbed with a burned out rod bearing and a wobblinb-bobbling distributor. I fixed the engine, but had to send him on his way with the lame distributor as I fix Model T's, not VW's and had nothing in stock to help him with.
Last edited by Scott_Conger on Sun May 17, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Conger

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun May 17, 2020 9:49 am

Scott

That could be true, our weather is finer in the south :D

However, he didn't mention that he used the choke first, that would be the primary tool for cold start.

Assuming he choked the carb, and no starting, and then had to rich up the mixture, could be ignition related.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Charles J

Post by Charles J » Sun May 17, 2020 3:41 pm

My car starting very easy I can even get a free start a lot of time I just wanted to know if the I timer is worth the money I only richen up the carburetor about a quarter turn when it first starts after about a minute I leaned it back down and has a professionally built carburetor coils and coil box has been rebuilt New old stock tiger timer ignition switch rebuild all new wiring a set of N O S champion x spark plugs but the same order original faded out paint I was just thinking about trying a I timer

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Sun May 17, 2020 4:22 pm

Charles, I am sure if you installed the I Timer on your car you would be thrilled with it's continued superb performance with no need for cleaning or oiling. I know that the cleaning and greasing or sanding the contacts in the timer is one of the joys of driving a stock model T. We do that with every stop when racing in the Montana 500 to make sure we have the best performance possible for every leg of the race.

When I drive my car on tours using an ETimer I prefer not to have to worry about my timer. I do expect the car to look and drive like a Model T with the same sounds but if better performance and reliability is achieved that's makes for a more enjoyable tour. Yes, Scott is correct in his dislike of aftermarket parts. I have personally experienced many times on a tour where other cars have had problems. You can bet with confidence that it's some aftermarket "improvement" thing that was put on the car. I could list a few like a 6V fuel pump, Very few auto parts stores will carry one. Modern VW coil and dist issues have ruined many peoples tour. I carry like most others some spare coils and timer. Mostly just to help someone else out. I've only ever had to replace a failed coil once in many thousand miles and I did run out of gas once in Arkansas. My bet is if the T is on the side of the road it probably is some after market part....

Past experiences from people who have purchased improved Model Parts from Mike Kossor will all agree with only a couple exceptions that they like the improved performance they get. You may not feel that it is worth the cost since that's a personal decision. You will get the best service and quality part of any T parts supplier that we have available.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun May 17, 2020 5:14 pm

Charles, your T is performing exactly as it was designed...starts easily...sometimes free starts... The attributes that you just described are absolutely optimal and cannot be improved.

Intercylinder timing can be improved and it will only take $400 and a little optimism and you'll probably feel some difference when driving ith an i-Timer. Whether it is worth it is something only you can decide.

If your car has some age on it, a new camshaft, either stock or performance is available for about the same money, and there is a strong likelihood that you'd feel a difference in performance. A high compression head will run about the same $$ and you will definitely see a performance difference.

None of the above will improve what you have previously described, though. Lots of T owners would love to own a car like you describe, but don't.

It is noteworthy that the Montana guys go 50+MPH all day long in a fully stock T with no gadgets...even Gene. :D
Scott Conger

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Sun May 17, 2020 7:15 pm

Wait a minute- you mean the I timer isn't wired to the carb? :lol: Some folks just can't let a Model T be a Model T...

rube-goldberg-machine-1021x680.jpg
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

mdsBob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Hargraves
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo
MTFCA Number: 471

Post by mdsBob » Tue May 19, 2020 8:31 am

Charles J wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:55 pm
I understand the workings of them I'm just simply want to know if the I timer is worth the money
I think so.

Fire_chief
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Gagel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Tourings(2),14 Tourings(2),15 Touring,22Touring,22 TT,21 Fire Truck,14 Chief Car
MTFCA Number: 8377
MTFCI Number: 22437

Post by Fire_chief » Tue May 19, 2020 10:55 am

Mike allowed me to be a beta tester for the I-Timer. I took my 14 to his house, where he adjusted my rebuilt coils using the ECCT. After that I test drove the T. We then installed the I-Timer. We then drove the car again. Both times the car ran better. I was impressed to the point where I am now running 5 T's with that setup.

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Tue May 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Charles J wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:43 pm
Would like to hear from people who have used one
Interesting the most verbose response from outside the OP's target audience. Thanks to the I-Timer users who shred their honest experience with it.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

KirkieP

Post by KirkieP » Tue May 19, 2020 4:20 pm

This is a little OT but,
Yesterday, I reinstalled the ECCT software on a new laptop and retested a coil I had recently adjusted using the ECCT. It still tested excellent. I originally purchased just the ECCT from Garrett a few years ago in Chickasha. It was challenging adjusting a coil with only the lights, but after procuring the software from Mike, adjusting a coil became a whole lot easier. Anytime I have had a question, Mike answers right away. And Mike gives a discount on an I timer when you purchase the ECCT and software.
Kirk Peterson
Santa Fe NM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic