Search found 1401 matches

by Rich Bingham
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:35 am
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Regular visitors to this topic have no doubt noticed the hiatus in informative posts through the past week, perhaps the longest pause in over two years. Please do not be alarmed, as we have scarcely scratched surface where the annals of KD's accomplishments and adventures are concerned. Through the ...
by Rich Bingham
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:39 am
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Not all Ts were all black !
Replies: 7
Views: 630

Re: Not all Ts were all black !

Steve Jelf wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:04 am
Are the chains for snow, or mud?
It's Idaho Steve. Yes !!
by Rich Bingham
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:00 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Not all Ts were all black !
Replies: 7
Views: 630

Not all Ts were all black !

Definitely a using roadster. House paint maybe ?
by Rich Bingham
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:09 am
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Milling Block Deck and Head
Replies: 13
Views: 668

Re: Milling Block Deck and Head

. . . You'll never win an argument on the internet as some expert . . . will know more than all of us combined. :lol: So true ! So often contradictory opinions seem to prevent posts from actually providing good answers to the questions posed. As for re-surfacing heads and blocks, my question is whe...
by Rich Bingham
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:34 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Very often, identifying personalities from photographs presents difficulties for one or another reason; lighting, view angle, focus, all can obscure identifying features past the point of certainty. In this case, one might presume the visible presence of the wire canoe on a flatcar equipped with the...
by Rich Bingham
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:00 am
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: This was trucking-Old Photos
Replies: 471
Views: 49179

Re: This was trucking-Old Photos

Player pianos ? I could swear that's a load of hay. :lol:

I wonder if the nattily dressed feller pitched that load wearing his straw skimmer and bow tie ? :o

Great picture Herb ! Thanks much.
by Rich Bingham
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:55 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: High Wheeler
Replies: 21
Views: 846

Re: High Wheeler

Rudy, thanks for your post. You deserve a medal for sticking with the Holsman after the tornado tried to take it to Oz !
by Rich Bingham
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:52 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: Touring Body, Please Help ID
Replies: 4
Views: 250

Re: Touring Body, Please Help ID

More clues possibly ? Is it sitting on a chassis ? Could the chassis belong to it ? If so, are there any earmarks that could identify the chassis ? There appears to be fenders inside the body (cream colored) if they belong to the body perhaps they will help with an identification. Fun to find such s...
by Rich Bingham
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:44 am
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Our kind of demonstration
Replies: 6
Views: 590

Re: Our kind of demonstration

Thanks for that detail Bob !
by Rich Bingham
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:27 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Our kind of demonstration
Replies: 6
Views: 590

Re: Our kind of demonstration

:lol: got to love the lucky '13s !! :lol:
by Rich Bingham
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:12 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Our kind of demonstration
Replies: 6
Views: 590

Our kind of demonstration

I hope Mr. McKrill is demonstrating that the rear seat problems of the 1913 touring car have been solved !! Magic Valley area, Idaho. I'll see if I can find more on McKrill, Ford agent.
by Rich Bingham
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:51 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: High Wheeler
Replies: 21
Views: 846

Re: High Wheeler

They had not yet heard of the Ackermann principle. Perhaps we should discuss that in the KD thread? :lol: Thanks Herb ! One of the things I find most gratifying about this forum is the opportunity to learn so many new things. I had never before heard of the Ackerman Principle, so thanks to you, now...
by Rich Bingham
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:15 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Heinrich and Sebastian just crossed my desk with a wealth of information on Ackermann. It seems he was a very active organization type in the Basin; minutes of the Tri-burg Mudge Chewers Assn., Moss Growers for Better Slurry, and Ernie's Wednesday Night darts team all mention him as being chairman o...
by Rich Bingham
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:37 am
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: High Wheeler
Replies: 21
Views: 846

Re: High Wheeler

Erik, I'm sure you are right. Being a high-wheeler novice I was ignorant of the pertinent facts of the mass of early individual experimenters vs. actual commercial attempts. Wayne's post cleared that right up ! Wayne, the photo came from an Idaho history forum. No date nor any pertinent information,...
by Rich Bingham
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:19 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: High Wheeler
Replies: 21
Views: 846

High Wheeler

I never thought of these as actual automobiles and because of that I pretty much overlooked them as I "studied" old cars. Can anyone identify this little cutie ?? No wonder they terrified horses !
by Rich Bingham
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:28 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

I just can't let a reference to "Gone With the Mudge" pass without remarking on the inspirational scene of the burning of Absaroka. Also, it's a shame Betty Grable never got an Oscar. Her performance in the role of Red Buttons was truly legendary. Many people don't realize the pompano was the inspir...
by Rich Bingham
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:25 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Lots of cross-reference material here. The Spadaford Gang managed to elude capture by holing up on the Paprika Ranch mostly because Sheriff Dumbrow was violently allergic to Paprika, in spite of his Hungarian ancestry. Mudge was a popular chewable in the Basin, mostly because no spittoons were requi...
by Rich Bingham
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:05 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Aging new reproduction parts
Replies: 3
Views: 449

Re: Aging new reproduction parts

Interesting point of view, Allan. There are probably more than a few of us who somehow relate to the little nuances inherent in old hardware. There's just "something about them" that defies reproduction. Of course, when the original methods (and often materials) are beyond the capability of the mode...
by Rich Bingham
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:43 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: This was trucking-Old Photos
Replies: 471
Views: 49179

Re: This was trucking-Old Photos

. . . A horse can only maintain a gallup so long. The farm-geared TT could to it all day and never get winded. AND do it with far more load than one could ever haul with a horse . . . Burger, I've always enjoyed your perspectives on "Model Tee-ing" from your point of view as a TT owner who works wi...
by Rich Bingham
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:29 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

The The Saddlestring Gazette ran several ads during this period placed by Slim Cudlip, brand inspector at the Saddlestring stockyards wherein he offered to de-horn helmets of all sizes for $ 1.55 each. Apparently his side business was a brisk one for a time, the ad ran most of the summer. Folks in S...
by Rich Bingham
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:09 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: Not Ford men !
Replies: 5
Views: 307

Re: Not Ford men !

Thanks Rich. I wish the first photo had been better. Funny, no one seems interested in identifying the breed of horses in the second photo. :lol:
(I think the big drafter is a Belgian 😉)
by Rich Bingham
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: Paintings that aren't Model Ts
Replies: 109
Views: 17694

Re: Paintings that aren't Model Ts

A treat to see Rich! Thank you. Suggested title, "Now What ?!?" :lol:
by Rich Bingham
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:33 am
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: Not Ford men !
Replies: 5
Views: 307

Re: Not Ford men !

Jenkins' business only a few short years before the above photo:
by Rich Bingham
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:31 am
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: Not Ford men !
Replies: 5
Views: 307

Not Ford men !

Here's a fun picture. Not Fords (not Russia either :D ) probably mid-teens ?
Can anyone identify the cars in their "stable" ?

W. S. Jenkins & Sons established the Moscow Livery Stable, made the transition into the motor age and remained in business. I imagine there were many that did as well.
by Rich Bingham
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:49 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Good. There was a fellow in just now wearing a buffalo horn hat requesting a hall pass. He was stripped to the waist and appeared anxious and in a hurry. I'll let him know. As for the podium, prospective buyers should know it reeks heavily of skunks. A quart of tomato juice in its crankcase should c...
by Rich Bingham
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:14 am
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: This was trucking-Old Photos
Replies: 471
Views: 49179

Re: This was trucking-Old Photos

Nice to know these trucks had lousy brakes, driving without having a 'headache rack' :lol: Very true. However, it's hard for us moderns to realize just how slow these pioneer trucks actually traveled. Besides not being able to stop on a dime, the beast in the picture probably never traveled above 1...
by Rich Bingham
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:57 am
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: This was trucking-Old Photos
Replies: 471
Views: 49179

Re: This was trucking-Old Photos

Wayne Sheldon wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:51 am
Ever used one of those posthole augers?
I have.
Yup. Mixed results. Usually ended up doing it the "hard" way. :lol:
by Rich Bingham
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:37 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Foto of the Day
Replies: 442
Views: 68196

Re: Foto of the Day

Photo dated "1936"
by Rich Bingham
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:42 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: This was trucking-Old Photos
Replies: 471
Views: 49179

Re: This was trucking-Old Photos

Fenn's Posthole Auger gets a positive review in a Wyoming Farmer issue in 1914. I'm sorry to say I can't agree. :lol: i don't think I've ever seen a commercial body like this - in person or in photos. Great photo, thanks for posting.
by Rich Bingham
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:11 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Original Smith Is Good For Our Hobby
Replies: 20
Views: 1359

Re: Original Smith Is Good For Our Hobby

Kudos for Larry are overdue. He's taken flak for being a "purist". A gentleman and a man of few words, he's always generous, willing to help and truly knows his stuff. Thanks as well to our forum members who do likewise. It's not hard to tell who's "the real deal", and we all benefit from their cont...
by Rich Bingham
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:06 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Pressurized radiator
Replies: 6
Views: 462

Re: Pressurized radiator

Pressurizing the system would have more benefit for T owners at higher altitudes. Boiling point lowers to 202F at 5000' of elevation. The problem is that the system was never designed to be pressurized, so most model Ts would probably exhibit leaks in the cooling system they never had before. Fun to...
by Rich Bingham
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:05 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: "T" Parts Terminology
Replies: 11
Views: 692

Re: "T" Parts Terminology

. . . I suppose until modern overhead valve engines became common design, maybe "Henrys" term "pushrod" would have been okay . . . I find it interesting that Buick's 1904 model B was (arguably) the first mass-produced OHV automobile engine. Overhead valves were a Buick hallmark from then on. When i...
by Rich Bingham
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:20 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Good observation. Bears are always dependable. Linus just telefaxed this photo of Wizzborn's wife Clamantha and his daughters Cassava and Aspidistra on a shopping trip in downtown Chugwater, accompanied by their family pet. Linus swears it's a bear, but I have some doubts. If it was a bear, Jackingh...
by Rich Bingham
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:37 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Mongering iron isn't as easy as it looks. So very true, Rich. For our readers' edification Sebastian has transcribed this photo of Mongo Montgolfier at the helm of the "Steel Elephant" which powered the transorbital twist trunions. It's a generally accepted fact in the Tri-burgs that Mr. Montgolfie...
by Rich Bingham
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:20 am
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: How much water-soluble oil do you put in a Model T radiator?
Replies: 15
Views: 743

Re: How much water-soluble oil do you put in a Model T radiator?

I use one pint.

Remember, all opinions are absolutes, so be sure to follow all forum recommendations to the letter ! :lol:
by Rich Bingham
Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:24 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: 1909: How red was red?
Replies: 14
Views: 1284

Re: 1909: How red was red?

I have spent most of my adult life working with paint, pigments, and the formulations thereof, mostly from the point of view of fine art applications and authentic replications of materials and methods that were concurrent in the carriage and wagon trade c. 1880s-1920s. No matter. Anyone with an opi...
by Rich Bingham
Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:49 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Interesting aside, Cliff's brother John slipped on a banana peel outside the Biogram Theater one summer evening in 1935 and broke his sterno. Wanted for multiple parking tickets he was attempting to avoid Officer Quincy Caltrop at the time, but the constable had him dead to rights. More pertinent tr...
by Rich Bingham
Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:36 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: A different mode of transportation
Replies: 11
Views: 422

Re: A different mode of transportation

Indeed, Dave. They were still herding the cats at this stage. :lol:
by Rich Bingham
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:12 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: A different mode of transportation
Replies: 11
Views: 422

A different mode of transportation

Harnessing could be stressful.
by Rich Bingham
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:00 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: This was trucking-Old Photos
Replies: 471
Views: 49179

Re: This was trucking-Old Photos

Here's an odd couple - sheep camp and a state highway GMC truck. I've no idea the year of the truck, trucks always fool me as they tend to look older than their year of manufacture. No explanation or notes on the photo.
by Rich Bingham
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:58 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

That's a wonderful view of Cuthbert Maddox's corral. KD gifted Cuthbert's hired man Spud Whiffletree with a fine pump organ on the condition that it would be kept and played near the corral, or in the horse barn during inclement weather. That's spade's wife Demelza and their kids in the photo. Demel...
by Rich Bingham
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:31 am
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Any Reviews on Tractor Paint?
Replies: 13
Views: 1248

Re: Any Reviews on Tractor Paint?

. . . The bad: lots of brush marks, lots of runs, the grey primer shows through in places . . . Not to beat you up or be a smart-alec, Nacho, but regardless the method of application, the paint needs to be the proper viscosity to handle well, flow out, and "set" with an optimal "open time" before d...
by Rich Bingham
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:19 am
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: I'm surprised!
Replies: 15
Views: 1239

Re: I'm surprised!

. . . The part of the building it occupies in the above picture is no longer there . . . The entire half of that block west of the alley is no longer there. I should know but don't remember when the old buildings were razed for a new structure and parking lot which housed the US Bank (now indefinit...
by Rich Bingham
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:25 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: I'm surprised!
Replies: 15
Views: 1239

Re: I'm surprised!

Thanks Hap !!
by Rich Bingham
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:13 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: I'm surprised!
Replies: 15
Views: 1239

I'm surprised!

Here's a photo of a lineup of early Ts taken on West Center St. in Pocatello, Idaho, date unknown. Our members can doubtless identify the year of the Ts, and whether that's an "N", "R", or "S" at the end if the row. I'm surprised to see evidence of so many early Ts in southeast Idaho. There certainl...
by Rich Bingham
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:07 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: For TT Lovers
Replies: 5
Views: 499

Re: For TT Lovers

I'm sure you're right, Steve. Probably happens even when the hitch point is around the frame member as it is in this old photo. Many Ts got "help" hitched around the axle.
by Rich Bingham
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:49 am
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Right you are Perry. The game board idea was appropriated by "Mister Melvin", who finally got approval from KD to use it for the game he invented after several thousand boxes had already been printed. KD consented on condition that the critical magneto condyle flux resistance circuit be eliminated t...
by Rich Bingham
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:05 am
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: For TT Lovers
Replies: 5
Views: 499

For TT Lovers

Sharp eyes may be able to tell if this is a TT or a truck conversion. Perhaps the year of the plate, photo noted as being an Idaho scene. That plucky little T has a huge load on, kids and all, looks like it's got an additional 2hp up front to help with it.
by Rich Bingham
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:01 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Motorcycle Oil
Replies: 41
Views: 2202

Re: Motorcycle Oil

As ever, the consensus is: Yes ! Definitely. Use oil in your Model T !!
by Rich Bingham
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:17 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Steaming Radiator
Replies: 24
Views: 1126

Re: Steaming Radiator

Frank. Dim light bulb flickering here. :lol: Your concern for the "cold range" of soluble oil seems to indicate your thought is for filling the cooling system with soluble oil ?? Perhaps that's a possibility, but I'm unaware of such use. For my part, I use a pint of soluble oil in Lizzie's cooling s...
by Rich Bingham
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:44 am
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Steaming Radiator
Replies: 24
Views: 1126

Re: Steaming Radiator

Frank, soluble oil is, well, soluble. It dissolves into the water giving it a milky appearance, and doesn't separate from solution. If it has any capability to lower the freezing point of water it is minimal. Antifreeze it is not ! I've used it in cooling systems for years with good results. Opinion...
by Rich Bingham
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:24 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Shaving a t cylinder head
Replies: 15
Views: 930

Re: Shaving a t cylinder head

First question for "shaving" a stock head is whether it has been resurfaced in the past (more than once, possibly ?) and how much you think you want to take off. Do the math first. Just how much greater will the compression ratio be when you're done ? Best way to greatly increase the compression rat...
by Rich Bingham
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:27 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: This was trucking-Old Photos
Replies: 471
Views: 49179

Re: This was trucking-Old Photos

Here's a fun photo. Any idea what make truck ? Can anyone make out the license plate ? Supposed to be an Idaho scene.
by Rich Bingham
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:14 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Curiously, the "witless protection program" evolved from another less-known organizational construct known as the "Windlass Protection Assn." As usual, Kalamity Dick figured large in the narrative. When development of the alpahbet mines progressed to the excavation of stopes and vertical shafts foll...
by Rich Bingham
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:48 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Kalamity Dick was fond of word play. It's no surprise "alligator wrestling" was a triple entender for him. First, was the literal fact ; the Tri-burg Moss Improvement Board had hired him to remove a pair of alligators from the upper terrace pond. No one was sure where the reptiles had come from, but...
by Rich Bingham
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:28 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Drilling steel?
Replies: 28
Views: 1593

Re: Drilling steel?

I agree with Stan. Holes wander off center when haggled out progressively larger. Also agree that you need good tooling. A lot of hardware "hobbyist" bits may work in wood, but not for the machinist. I'm a little surprised no one mentioned annealing a work-hardened piece. Another thing to watch is r...
by Rich Bingham
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:09 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

In the interest of historical backgrounds, it's worth mentioning that Kalamity Dick's inventive genius was a trait that ran strong in the Klamitboffer family. For example, Dick's uncle Columbus Hercules Klamitboffer (aka Uncle Lumby) left his home town in Westconsin for Wyoming in the 1860's. Record...
by Rich Bingham
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:59 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Kalamity Dick rarely had interpersonal difficulties with anyone, which is amazing considering his vast impact on all aspects of Basin industry in those early years. Binford was the sole exception. His conflict with KD centered on the downturn in his business owing to a decrease in salvage sparking r...
by Rich Bingham
Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:49 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Blockley 30 x 3 — almost.
Replies: 5
Views: 663

Re: Blockley 30 x 3 — almost.

Oh boy !! Good news indeed. Thanks for keeping up with this, Steve !
(I do hope they don't change that listed price, though. :lol: )
by Rich Bingham
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:26 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Medicine
Replies: 10
Views: 1019

Re: Medicine

Testimonial: A concentrated dose over a four year period was so powerful, I was able to go 50 years without any symptoms of boredom, lethargy, ennui or malaise. However, the addictive properties were so powerful even after half a century, the only thing that would ameliorate the strong cravings, spe...
by Rich Bingham
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:53 am
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: For the Record - An Objection
Replies: 18
Views: 1167

Re: For the Record - An Objection

Kaiser wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:39 am
. . . this place is 'a quiet place' to retreat to ;) . . .
Until Marvel Mystery Oil is mentioned ! :lol:
by Rich Bingham
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:57 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Sediment Bulb Valve Weeping
Replies: 7
Views: 476

Re: Sediment Bulb Valve Weeping

Likely began as a porous, flawed rough casting.
by Rich Bingham
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:53 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

An excellent plan. The moon will be 59.6% full, and waxing. For reasons the research staff has been unable to learn, for some reason the Solipsistic wing produces its own interior weather; it always rains in there during the dark if the moon. Point of interest, periodically, Kalamity Dick would poli...
by Rich Bingham
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:45 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Just an Old Car Painting
Replies: 136
Views: 21804

Re: Just an Old Car Painting

Rich Eagle wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:03 pm
. . . night lighting. It's tough to capture . . . on canvas . . .
But you nailed it Rich !! Mighty nice work. As for the old illustrators, you're no slouch yourself, pal. :D
by Rich Bingham
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:37 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Leather hood lacing
Replies: 2
Views: 292

Re: Leather hood lacing

I'm guessing "not" is missing from your post, as the photo shows leather strips shorter than material I presume is the cotton webbing your dad put in ? The leather might be OK if it as least as long as the retainers in the hood. Otherwise, if you have a local canvas products supply, i.e., an outfit ...
by Rich Bingham
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:30 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

I'm reasonably sure that's Ernie and Rutherford Spadaford engaged in gentlemanly discussion. It's amusing how enduring political affiliations can become. Obviously, Rutherford was named after President Hayes, while back in the day, Ernie had been a staunch supporter of Samuel Tilden. While Rutherfor...
by Rich Bingham
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:00 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Wear and tear
Replies: 5
Views: 496

Re: Wear and tear

. . . The front shackles and bushings are worn badly. How long of driving would it take to do that? To address the original question, it depends. It depends on the conditions of use and the quality of maintenance (or lack thereof). Just guessing, but most fully used Model Ts in rural areas probably...
by Rich Bingham
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:35 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Sealing/Treating Model T Top
Replies: 8
Views: 483

Re: Sealing/Treating Model T Top

Russ T Fender wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:35 pm
. . . My only objection was that it has a gloss finish . . .
Golly Russ, you need a steo ladder to even SEE the top :lol:
by Rich Bingham
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:22 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: Another White for Rich Eagle
Replies: 9
Views: 516

Re: Another White for Rich Eagle

Either one looks mighty elegant ! :D
by Rich Bingham
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:17 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: "Pretty far-fetched" and stuff
Replies: 71
Views: 3193

Re: "Pretty far-fetched" and stuff

I guess a lot of phrases we use come from ship terms and steam trains: Very true ! Many origins become obscure with time and other inferences. Two of my favorites: "Overhaul" used to mean beaching a ship, and "hauling it over" on its side so barnacles could be removed, rotten planks replaced and ne...
by Rich Bingham
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:48 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

It's true the Algae-Sacha burger saved the Terminal Cafe, but as a loss-lead menu item. In Spite of its gargantuan size, it sold for a paltry two-bits like any other burger of the era. Brought home in a take-out bag, one Algae-Sacha burger could feed a family of four for a week, which made it very p...
by Rich Bingham
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:37 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: I wish I had this problem- too much money in hand
Replies: 21
Views: 1416

Re: I wish I had this problem- too much money in hand

Go ahead and laugh. Free shipping !! That's a good deal. :lol: :lol: :lol:
by Rich Bingham
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:12 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Sealing/Treating Model T Top
Replies: 8
Views: 483

Re: Sealing/Treating Model T Top

You can almost tell if an aged top on a closed car will leak across its span, as a failing top will appear dry, and small cracks will be visible on close examination. A top dressing like Mark suggested may solve that, it may require a couple of applications. Any road, it would be good for an older t...
by Rich Bingham
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:34 am
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: Another White for Rich Eagle
Replies: 9
Views: 516

Re: Another White for Rich Eagle

. . .Michael's photos show the earlier more bulbous radiator shell . . . Glad you liked it Rich. I thought it's an especially nice photo ! When I first saw it I thought "Packard" ! I find it a little odd that the White radiator became more Packard-like with passing years rather than less. That "tom...
by Rich Bingham
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:17 am
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: Not a Ford - identify ?
Replies: 10
Views: 759

Re: Not a Ford - identify ?

I’m counting eight. :lol: True, Robert. There are eight people in the car. Kinda like phone booth stuffing in the 1950's :lol: I posted "seven passenger" as that was the usual designation for a body of this type; two in the front, three in the back, two in jump-seats (optional). I suppose it could ...
by Rich Bingham
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:07 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: Not a Ford - identify ?
Replies: 10
Views: 759

Not a Ford - identify ?

A seven passenger touring that was in the "stable" of the Boise Livery Co. Here in front if the Ellis Hotel, Placerville, Idaho. Date unknown.
by Rich Bingham
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:42 am
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: VIN #
Replies: 17
Views: 743

Re: VIN #

FWIW, the OP hails from Texas, according to his profile. Perhaps Texans reading the forum can offer some tips in how the Texas DMV operates ?
by Rich Bingham
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:57 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Personal Challenge (Contest): How cheap can I purchase/make a Model T for?
Replies: 56
Views: 2906

Re: Personal Challenge (Contest): How cheap can I purchase/make a Model T for?

This is a fun exercise. Perhaps the economics of the problem remain the same ? In 1962 I gave $75.00 for a complete chassis. "Parts" were essentially free, as one could scrounge nearly anything one required from junk piles in the sagebrush or on farmsteads where they were given. My dim remembrey cal...
by Rich Bingham
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:30 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Back to the haunting of Halverstam's Drug Store, it's particularly eerie that one of the manifestations of paranormal activity is the voices of KD and Cuthbert discussing algebrake equations. It has only recently come to light (again through painstaking and meticulous research of materials dredged f...
by Rich Bingham
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:20 am
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Good point, Burger. Sebastian just sent a photostat of Sprinkles' birth certificate up the vacuum port from the Institute's sub-basement. As previously stated, "Ether Sprinkles" was the stage name of the clown who was born Schufeld Schufeld. His parents were terribly unimaginative when it came to na...
by Rich Bingham
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:42 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Value of a Model T
Replies: 9
Views: 831

Re: Value of a Model T

Rusted hulk barn-find: $ 450.00 Repro parts, machine work, paint, materials, etc. : $ 19,000.00 2000 hours of fussing, fitting, scraping, cleaning and painting : $ 0.00 Milesge snd expenses to swap meets and parts purchased : $ 7,800.00 One 30 mile drive on a cloudless spring day : $ 27,350.00 :lol:...
by Rich Bingham
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:39 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: Another White for Rich Eagle
Replies: 9
Views: 516

Another White for Rich Eagle

No dates or details were given, other than this is "CC" Boswell, and his trusty White, stage driver from Grangeville to New Meadows (Idaho) for a number of years. The beast regularly negotiated Whitebird Pass. What power !
by Rich Bingham
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:48 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: "Pretty far-fetched" and stuff
Replies: 71
Views: 3193

Re: "Pretty far-fetched" and stuff

Norman Kling wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:45 am
. . . We don't use the word oblige anymore . . .
When I was young, it was common to hear "much obliged" as an alternative to "thank you". Maybe because we're closer to Canada ? :lol:
by Rich Bingham
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:42 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Always have adult supervision when working on your Model T
Replies: 14
Views: 1738

Re: Always have adult supervision when working on your Model T

Like Shorty, Hannah is most interested in Model T activity, like helping pick apples (photo) she picked up the apples that fell while I was picking, and put them in a box. When I'm pulling wrenches she stays close but out of the way, waiting for a test-drive.
by Rich Bingham
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:39 am
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Indeed, Sprinkles enjoyed a satisfying career with the wild west show. He fell hard in love with Tallene, but she figured he was just clowning around, and anyway, she was romantically involved with one of the troupe extras name of Biffalo Buff. Not so much for his personality as for the fact that he...
by Rich Bingham
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:20 am
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: First owner
Replies: 11
Views: 1004

Re: First owner

About the only option would be to trace previous owners. Oftimes it ends with the guy you bought it from. My own search (of a whole car) ended two owners back in hearsay. It's fun to know these things, and we're almost always curious. Good luck with the search !
by Rich Bingham
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:55 am
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Value of a Model T
Replies: 9
Views: 831

Re: Source ?

FreighTer Jim wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:33 am
Where do they get Their market valuation from ?

FJ
Probably from auction results. Where did this come from ?

Jim, I'd guess happy fingers and no proof reading. It does diminish any authority the writer may own.
by Rich Bingham
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:58 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

When the sludge pond froze over, the mud pies also made excellent hockey pucks. Many a spirited game was played on the ice behind the Terminal Cafe. Ferndip was a formidable goalie who could have easily gone professional, but the Terminal Cafe waa his whole world.
by Rich Bingham
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:27 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

The flood nearly ended the Terminal Cafe. Situated at the bottom of Water Street, it was over two months before the flood receded entirely, and another six weeks before the mud dried out. The continued damp caused all of the cafe's bread products to grow mold almost as soon as they were delivered. C...
by Rich Bingham
Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:37 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

It's possible Cuthbert was responsible for not shutting down the precipitaxinator before the gyro drizzle check valve was installed. Enthusiastic over the fact the precipitaxinator had ended a four-year drought on his ranch, the massive flooding down Chugwater's main street was the result. Ernie did...
by Rich Bingham
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:47 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Will the original design of the Model T survive by the end of the 21st century?
Replies: 25
Views: 1010

Re: Will the original design of the Model T survive by the end of the 21st century?

. . . I think there will always be some radicals who insist on things being exactly as they were . . . Pick me. :lol: I'm fortunate to live where all the multiple deficiencies of the Model T which have made it an obsolete impediment to "normal" traffic since 1928 do not demand that my Lizzie run wi...
by Rich Bingham
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:18 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Will the original design of the Model T survive by the end of the 21st century?
Replies: 25
Views: 1010

Re: Will the original design of the Model T survive by the end of the 21st century?

There are some people who still have horses. True dat. According to the University of Minnesota Extension Service, the annual contribution of the horse industry to the U.S. economy is around $100 billion. It provides 1.7 million jobs, and just over 30% of U.S. households contain at least one "horse...
by Rich Bingham
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:18 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Tudor, leaks in one garage but not the other.
Replies: 22
Views: 964

Re: Tudor, leaks in one garage but not the other.

I HAD A HORSE LIKE THAT ONCE, HE NEVER SOILED HIS STALL BUT WOULD IN THE SHADE ROOFING WHERE THE COWS LIKE TO HANG OUT. :lol: Richard, horses are like that. Another observation that underscores my affection for the Model T, which is rooted in my belief that the T is very much like a good horse in s...
by Rich Bingham
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:11 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: 1924 Hood shelf question
Replies: 25
Views: 835

Re: 1924 Hood shelf question

I find it part of the fun that through the past century we have come from strictly utilitarian to arrive at the prosperity of being able to examine and analyze every part of the beastie just for the enjoyment of knowing how things were done and for maintaining the authenticity of restorations. Somet...
by Rich Bingham
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:20 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: Tudor, leaks in one garage but not the other.
Replies: 22
Views: 964

Re: Tudor, leaks in one garage but not the other.

Rich, shop and garage are different buildings, situated differently on your place? Both unheated ? Is it possible the shop gets more sun and less wind ? If so, the temperatures may vary more than one might think ? My "theory" is that the garage is just cold enough to "shrink" some element of the sys...
by Rich Bingham
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:24 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

Small detail compared to the marvelous complexity of KD's engineering triumph, but the photograph beautifully displays wallpaper designed by Florabelle McGeachen, world-renowned decorative artitiste and Tri-burg native. It's rumored she and KD had a "thing" for each other, but their interactions wer...
by Rich Bingham
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:10 pm
Forum: General Discussion Forum (started 2019)
Topic: THE HORSE IS DOOMED
Replies: 9
Views: 836

Re: THE HORSE IS DOOMED

The way things are going, perhaps the horse will have the last laugh ?
by Rich Bingham
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:00 pm
Forum: OT - Off topic
Topic: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?
Replies: 2542
Views: 251582

Re: OT - Adventures of Kalamity Dick - Fact or Fiction?

. . . For more on the tournaments and particularly the sacred mud stick, check out "Escalibur and the Magic Boulder" By C. J. Vaunitklark . . . Right you are, Rich. Interestingly, popular fiction offers more than a few accurate accounts of the rituals and tenets of the Escaldado brotherhood. Anothe...