lubrication on the crankshaft bearings

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Johnny Mac
First Name: John
Last Name: McCarthy

lubrication on the crankshaft bearings

Post by Johnny Mac » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:46 pm

Hello Everyone
I would like to ask for some advice regarding what is current for the crankshaft and rod bearings as far as cutting grooves in the babbit bearings for lubrication. I have recently dismantled what appears to be a recently reconditioned engine and had become "stuck". On all of the rod bearings and main bearings there are no grooves cut in them. Therefore would this prevent or restrict crankshaft lubrication? Your comments would be appreciated. Thank you John

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Re: lubrication on the crankshaft bearings

Post by Kevin Pharis » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:42 pm

Did I hear a can of worms opening...?

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:25 pm

Ford rods did not have grooves cut in them. Mains only had a small groove in top of block side of bearing cut in line with the crank. Nothing in the cap. Dan

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren

Post by Kerry » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:24 pm

All the bearings also had a oil swipe groove cut at the parting lines. Has, or are you going to fit dippers?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:35 pm

If the caps are drilled for dippers, then I would say yes to the grooves. If not, the oil will run in from the top and sides of the rod. I have dippers in all of mine, and have not tried running rods without them. I think, perhaps, the babbit would last longer without the grooves, however, with the dippers, you wouldn't get as much oil in. So I would say it depends on how fast you plan to drive. The faster you go, the less time the rod is in the pan, so the dippers might help. Anyway, just my opinion for what it's worth.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic