Low Head Rust

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
vanco
First Name: John
Last Name: Van Cott

Low Head Rust

Post by vanco » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:52 pm

I found that the water jacket had rusted through into the head bolt hole and water found it's way to number one cylinder. Lucky me the water also found its way into the intake and down into the rebuilt carburetor. So I am looking at three options, 1) sleeve the head bolt holes with stainless tubing, 2) locate a 105 year old low head without any rust out conditions or 3) purchase a new z head. I have been told by Steve at Langs that I can use the z head however I will have to bend the radiator hose to make it work due to it being a high head design. I don't know if anyone has sleeved low head bolt holes and if so maybe you could share your experience, success or not? Finally maybe someone out there may know of a low head for sale in excellent condition. I am open for suggestions, you folks are the experts and I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman

Re: Low Head Rust

Post by Mark Osterman » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:00 pm

Or buy a used high head ... which are easy to find.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:58 pm

As the Z head is a high head design, you'll have to bend the hose whether you use a Z or an ordinary high head. High heads are plentiful and cheap. Good low heads are not as plentiful and will cost more, but they're around.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren

Post by Kerry » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:21 pm

Another option is, I can sell you a very rare, new, low and Ford scripted aluminium head ;) postage isn't cheap from Australia tho! :cry:

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren

Post by Kerry » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:23 pm

Forgot to mention, it's HC as well.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:36 pm

While sleeving the bolt holes may seem like a good option, the amount of rust that it would take to go through to a bolt hole would also most likely cause thin spots elsewhere in the head as well. For instance, look into the water outlet hole. You may see that the little vertical posts that reinforce the domes of the combustion chambers have rusted away. Where will your next leak be? How bad will it mess up the engine? My advice, look for another head.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:42 pm

I agree with Jerry. I have repaired some over the years just to have another pop up a few years down the road. Another issue that is over looked time to time is a shift in the core process. Just trying to help.

All the Best,

Hank

Jem
First Name: Jem
Last Name: Bowkett
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Jem » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:19 pm

Has anyone tried resin impregnation? It's primarily used to fill porosity in castings, it won't fill cracks, but I believe it inhibits corrosion so could reduce chance of further deterioration. I'm thinking of it for my low head which has rust flakes floating around despite using inhibitor anti freeze.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115

Post by DanTreace » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Generally, getting to the surface areas inside the cylinder head is a difficult process, just too many nooks and crannies.

Have used frayed wire rope, 1/4' dia. on a power drill, into the water outlets, and run it around inside, got some stuff loose and out. But can't see how sandblast would be of help. Likely just a chemical soak, maybe in a molasses bath!, would get most of the rust to flush away.

Treating the surfaces inside would be difficult, would be shame if surface treatments or layers of any kind causes poorer transfer of heat from the coolant.

Over time that iron head is just going to corrode inside, probably most are now rather deep pitted, and you can only do yearly maintainace by flushing, and cleaning the block and head to get rust flakes out, and preserve with good coolant mix, that includes rust prevention.

cut motor head in half web (2).jpg
cut motor head in half web (2).jpg (91.26 KiB) Viewed 845 times
IMG_3169.JPG
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

rgould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould

Post by rgould1910 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:42 pm

I would find another low head. Unless you need a 1912 or earlier head, they are not difficult to find.

Jem
First Name: Jem
Last Name: Bowkett
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Jem » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:26 pm

The resin process sucks it into all the pores of the metal by putting the item in a vacuum tank, and as my head is the 09 original I am unlikely to find a replacement, so I should do whatever I can to preserve it. I'll talk to the company and report back.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic