The Importance of a Good Weld and Where to put it!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

The Importance of a Good Weld and Where to put it!

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:05 pm

This is not off topic but shows the importance of welding techniques with the right locations. This happen a little over a month ago, a direct hit on my back shed used for items being sandblasted. The neighbors 70 foot plus board leaf oak came down during a micro burst. There is a 1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quady in there as well, Just a little marring and the passenger side mirror took a hit.

The weld did exactly what it was suppose to do, the light weight beams attached to the top of the poles did too. Engineering is a wonderful thing, not rocket science, but making it withstand that much pressure at impact, well I was proud and not mad. My wife still thinks I am nuts, but gave me a pat on the back.
IMG_1864.jpg
IMG_1870.jpg
IMG_1867.jpg
IMG_1868.jpg
Just trying to show why proven methods in construction of metal are so important.

All the Best Folks,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: The Importance of a Good Weld and Where to put it!

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:33 pm

Oh MY! :shock:
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:54 pm

A couple of years ago my son I built a storage shed for my son. I "engineered" it. It was not real big, 10' X 12' with a wood frame and T -1-11 siding. As we built it, he and my daughter-in-law both made smart comments as to the thing. "It's only a shed." "What the heck are you building?" "Are you planning a second and third story?" etc.

About 3 or 4 months after it was completed a pretty violent and wet storm blew through. The shed is just a few feet from is side yard fence. Immediately on the other side of the fence was a very large eucalyptus tree (the trunk was over 4' in diameter). In the middle of the night the tree came down, hit the shed and was thereby deflected from the house and the bedrooms where their two small boys were asleep. The shed stood undamaged except for one hole in the roof where a branch poked through. The house was only brushed by the ends of the branches instead of a direct hit. The two boys were unharmed and slept through it all.

Both my son and my daughter-in-law emphatically took back all the snide comments they had made while we were building it. I said simply, "This is a good example of an unanticipated benefit derived from doing it right."

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Yes, is it "over engineered" or "built right"

I am leaning to your definitions :-)

Do it once, do it well, built to last..

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:01 am

Wow! Incredible! I KNOW the power of such a falling tree. About ten years ago, our next-door neighbor had an oak tree of similar size come down in a storm and hit her garage right over the garage door. It was a wide one car garage, door maybe nine feet wide. The twelve inch by six inch glue-laminated beam was snapped like a toothpick! (For those getting out the slide-rules, the tree did have an uphill advantage, but STILL!)

Tim Williams
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Model T Speedster, 1922 Model t Speedster project

Post by Tim Williams » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Is it me or did that tree needed to be cut down before it blew down? just looking at the branches etc. Yes I know hinde sight is a 20/20. my Guess Hank is you did mention it to your neighbor before.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Hank will probably knock out all the smashed tin, form a couple ford logo's into it and solder it all back together!

Mike Robinson
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Robinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Speedster 1914 Speedster 1925 Touring 1926 roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 22510

Post by Mike Robinson » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:21 pm

My shop took a hit this winter. Branches hit two cars.
Attachments
F58CAD9A-22A2-4400-B341-A52272A1BED7.jpeg
8E796908-96EB-4D8D-8B6F-083EEF29F275.jpeg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic