Lighting issue

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jachady
First Name: John
Last Name: Chady
Board Member Since: 2016

Lighting issue

Post by jachady » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:19 pm

Latest issue I have is with lighting. Currently all original 6 volt setup, 2 headlights and one taillight. I replaced all bulbs about a year and a half ago. Recently one headlight on dim burned out. That was ok to me because I run on battery so it saved me some juice. Now both lights burned out, so I switched to brights. Both lights worked but really killed the battery. So I pulled one of the bulbs. Today I get a message on my phone from a local resident that he saw me drive by at night and I didn't have a taillight. So I go out and sure enough, with my headlight switch on bright, no taillight. Switch to dim and the taillight is on. Do I have an issue with my switch? Where do I even begin? Electrical is my kryptonite.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Lighting issue

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:31 am

The tail light should the on when the lights are on. Bright or dim should make no difference. Most likely a couple of the brass contacts in the switch are failing to contact. This is really more of a mechanical than an electrical problem. There are two types of switches. If the backing plate is held in by pins, you just twist it to remove it. If it's held by tabs, you have to bend them up to remove it. While you have it out, anneal the tabs (turn them orange and let them cool) so they won't break off when you bend them back down. If the backing late is warped, as many are, rub it on coarse sandpaper to flatten the face. Pry the brass contacts up a little bit so they'll be tight against the terminals. If flattening the face of the backing plate makes any if the dimples shallow, you can deepen them a little with a drill bit. Just don't overdo it. They don 't have to be very deep.

IMG_0672 copy 2.JPG
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: Lighting issue

Post by Novice » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:45 am

John. This LED bulb sold by ledlights.com is what I went to in My six volt open express. headlights much much brighter than OEM. Brighter than high current halogen replacements sold by vendors. 50 watt equivalent. dual filaments fit oem or replacement even pin bases. I can barely see the amp meter move on Bright. Plenty bright but does not blind on coming traffic. about $8.00 each. My OEM stock 21-3 CP headlight bulbs drew about 10 amps on Bright twice as much as generator puts out and about two amps on low 3 cp twice as much as bright on Led. The second bulb with the wedge shape is a 75 watt ac/dc 6 to 30 volt. dual polarity works on 6,8,12 volt. I tried a pair on 6 volts it is super bright. Too bright in My opinion.and must be installed in a OEM socket where the filaments are horizontal even so I can see a slight C pattern. and with reproduction sockets which support vertical filaments I saw a slight U pattern appears to be putting out a lot of side light toward on coming drivers.

6V LED Headlight BA15D.Product Code: 87455.Price : $7.33 - $7.97.Watch the Video.Warranty: 24 Months.
Works on 6V AC or 6V DC. 60 quantity 5730 smd leds. Optically filament aligned so you get maximum light output through your headlight fixture and lens. The headlight is dimmable using a variable voltage supply. Being dimmable helps out with the older vintage and classic vehicles voltage system and wiring is not 100%. There is a total of 16 forward firing and 44 side firing leds. Each 5730 uses up to 1/2 Watt of power. This bulb up to 950 Lumen or 60 CP candle power to 70 MSCP. Very bright. Compatible with C-6 filament designed light bulbs. Comparable to a 30 Watt to 55-56W Watt incandescent light bulb. This bulb works in both 6 volt negative ground and 6 volt positive ground vehicles, tractors and motorcycles. This lamp can operate 6 Volts and has both a low beam and a high beam filament. Long life up to 30,000 hours. Long warranty please see warranty details below. This 6v bulb shape will fit your headlight without any issues with installation. The shape is this bulbs is smaller than a normal BA15D headlight bulb. The maximum diameter is 1.058" inches. The maximum overall length is 1.944 inches. CE and Rohs listed. Extended warranty please see detail page for more details. The BA15D base has two bayonets that are same height and two contacts on the bottom. Compatible with: #1158 1158 BA15D 919-1931 Ford 1926, 1927 Ford Model T 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931, 1932 Model A A-13007-C Snyders A-13007-D Snyders 6572BX Langs
Attachments
ba15d-60-smdt.jpg
ba15d-60-smdt.jpg (2.94 KiB) Viewed 341 times
74475t.png
74475t.png (25.87 KiB) Viewed 341 times

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic