Hyatt bearings stuffed with hair?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ArthurB
First Name: Arthur
Last Name: Babitz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927ish Roadster Pickup
Board Member Since: 2018

Hyatt bearings stuffed with hair?

Post by ArthurB » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:10 pm

I've been sorting through a pile of Hyatt bearings to rebuild my axle. One of the bearings I chose with good looking/ within spec rollers is presenting an unusual problem. When I went to clean it I discovered the rollers are stuffed with hard old grease and some sort of coarse, short fiber. I've been pulling little hairballs out with tweezers, stainless steel wire and a dental pick for a day now.

I've heard stories about people packing sawdust in gearboxes to "tighten them up" but always thought that was just a story. Has anyone else run into bearings stuffed with hair, or do you know if putting hair (wool?) in the axle case was a common practice? I should have tossed this one hours ago but I'm kind of stubborn, and I'm hoping there is a good story someone can add to make it worthwhile.

rickd
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Duquette
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1925 Touring, 1927 PU, 1955 T Bird, 69 Shelby GT 350
MTFCA Number: 21848
MTFCI Number: 22173
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: Hyatt bearings stuffed with hair?

Post by rickd » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:21 pm

Could it be old fibers from previous felt axle seals that worked their way into the Hyatt?

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:25 pm

If the rear end is growling you have to remove the dog! :D

Topic author
ArthurB

Post by ArthurB » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:19 pm

Felt axle seals-- that makes sense. This stuff looks like felt put in a blender. Thanks for solving the mystery. I use modern seals so I forgot there used to be felt in there.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:26 pm

That what felt is, hair that is washed and pounded into a mat. Could be short or long depending on the thickness or density.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:38 pm

Well I'll be. Learned something new today Mark! Thank you!
Arthur, my brother in law had a WD Allis-Chalmers tractor that needed work in the (drive) in-out clutch box. When he pulled it apart, he found the previous owner had indeed put sawdust in the oil to sweeten the clutch action.
I believe the clutch is much like our model T high speed clutch.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:02 pm

I took a T rear end apart many years ago, it was one of the worst I ever saw. Every moving part was junk, roller bearings in pieces. Even the housings weren't much good. I did manage to salvage some bolts and nuts. When I got it apart, the remains of grease was mixed with what appeared to be ground-up cork, and lots of it! I have always wondered whether the cork was the reason the rear end became so bad? Or maybe the cork allowed them to get a few thousand more miles out of an already bad rear end?

You said you wanted stories.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:21 am

Mark, you are not quite right about felt being washed and pounded up hair to make a mat. Hair fibres will not felt. WOOL fibres will. Wool fibres have tiny rings of scales around them. When they are washed, agitated/'pounded', the fibres rubbing together become enmeshed and bind to each other. Think of grass seeds which get in your socks. It is easier to pull them through the sock than try to pull them out against the rub of the awns on the seed. The density and strength of felt is controlled by careful selection of the type of wool selected, the purpose to which the end product is to be put, and the actual felting process used to make the fabric.

Industrial felt used in making oil/dust seals is a far different beast to the fine felted wool scarves which may adorn the neck of a lady. it is the tendency of wool fibres to felt which makes it necessary to hand wash a woolen sweater and dry it flat. Put it in a washing machine, and run it through a tumble drier, and it will certainly felt up, and come out of the process 3 sizes smaller and loose all definition in the kniiting.

Allan from down under Bennett and Gregor wool producers for handcrafters.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:38 pm

Thanks Allan, I probably knew that but forgot. Mom and Dad don't have to deal with shearing their small flock of Barbados cross, the wool just falls off. ;)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

67pontiac
First Name: William
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring 1913 Roadster 1919 TT 1920 Huckster 1922 Touring 1926 RPU
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by 67pontiac » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:57 pm

I have to give my "two cents worth" on this subject. Many years ago, when rebuilding my first Model T rear-end, I found the same"problem". I discounted it as a felt washer that was ground up and found its way into the rollers. I no longer think that is the case. I've looked at and handled countless Model T rear axle bearings and the vast majority have the rollers filled with felt. I recently completely dis-assembled several bearings, (both car and truck), and found the felt material in all of them. The interesting thing is that every bearing roller had the same amount of felt inside. The other interesting fact was the amount of metal particles imbedded in the felt! I have no proof of this, but I now suspect the felt was actually installed in the rollers at the factory. Probably as a method of retaining oil/grease in the bearing. Much like a felt wick is used to apply oil to the point lobe area of a distributor shaft. remember, the original rollers are made of spiral wound steel and oil on the inside of the rollers can, and does, work its way through the small opening between the winding. I have no problem leaving the felt in the rollers, but I certainly don't want to leave the metal particles in there. Thoroughly cleaning the bearings is a time consuming and tedious job. I do consider the original bearings to be of a superior design over the available reproductions and will probably continue to spend several hours cleaning the old bearings. So much for my "two cents worth".

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:29 pm

I'll go just one cent worth, never come across this in Canadian bearings as yet :D

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:36 pm

William

That's an observation I haven't had, pulled a lot of Hyatts from axle and pinion, and never seen felt. Only old tar like grease, metal particles if the sleeve had been worn down.

No mention in early articles by Fahnstock or Hyatt adv. about felt inside the ribbon roller. Would add too much resistance IMO.

Scan0250.JPG
Scan0250.JPG (113.93 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
Scan0497.JPG
Scan0497.JPG (30.5 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Bill Dizer
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Bill Dizer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:30 pm

Would the old fashion fiber type grease have done that to a bearing after a number of years use?

Topic author
ArthurB

Post by ArthurB » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:26 pm

I had the same suspicion as 67pontiac that some bearings were actually intentionally manufactured with felt in the rollers for some perceived benefit. The felt was so dense and uniform that it's hard to imagine how it infiltrated the roller. But the fact that none of you has come up with any documentation of this practice has me doubting that theory. In any case, as 67pontiac said the felt is so dense with metal particles that I'm glad I removed it all. No way I want all that bad stuff contaminating my spotlessly clean rear axle. The rancid whale blubber smell is gone and it's almost ready for fresh grease and oil.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic