reverse eyes on rear spring?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

reverse eyes on rear spring?

Post by tdump » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:54 pm

I found I may have made a booboo on the rear of my speedster. I reversed the eyes on the front spring,and made a copy of the Laurel brackets to lower the front end.
Seems to be ok,
The back,well,I didn't want to cut anything,so I had the bright idea,seemed bright at the time anyway,to put the top 3 short springs under the long 1 and let the springs go up in the crossmember a bit,lowering the chassis and giveing me the "rake" I wanted.
Well,it appears the spring clamps,that have the 1/4 inch bolts in them, are mighty close to the crossmember as in like it has alot of weight on it but it does not.Does it look like a issue I should be concerned about?

So best I can tell hot rod parts sources show a spring with reversed eyes but not in stock and so forth.
I did the front 1 myself,but I aint so sure i can figure out how to reverse this rear 1. I could then put the 3 short springs back where they go and eliminate that potential rub.

Push comes to shove I guess I could put the rear back normal and put a normal front spring in.I would loose the drop I worked several hours for though.
I am basicly asking,can the rear spring eyes be reversed by a normal person with a few tools or what?
Attachments
DSC00114.JPG
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: reverse eyes on rear spring?

Post by Original Smith » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:28 pm

You didn't post a photo of the spring eyes, so I assume they are not reversed! If you wish to have the set up you now have, weld a piece of steel on each clamp bar. That will eliminate that horrible looking set up you now have. Ford actually made bars with a hump in them, but they are impossible to find.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:40 pm

Mack,

I tried modifying my speedster rear spring and nearly got into a nasty accident as a result. As others have learned as well, removing spring leaves, or swapping them around as you have done, is not a wise move. If you want reversed eyes on the rear, that should cause no trouble, (it also won't get you much drop). Changing your spring will result in some very undesirable reactions on the road, especially when you're braking and hit a bump at the same time...

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:23 pm

I had a couple of reverse eye leaves made a year ago by the local spring manufacturing company. Unfortunately I live a Long way from you!!
If you draw a blank I will try to help you

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:37 pm

I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Post by tdump » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:58 am

Well,I was not thinking to much apparently when I did that,I thought it would work. Sometimes ,you just don't think straight.I think i did this about 2011 or so? Anyhow,I may just wait till I start cuting grass again and bite the bullet for a spring. There used to be spring shops in this area but finding 1 now,eh I doubt it.
Sometimes we don't like the news we read but I would rather read this setup could cause trouble,than type about the trouble it caused me! Cheaper in the long run.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:15 pm

You can purchase a reversed eye main leaf from these guys. Great to do business with.
modeltsprings.com

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:07 pm

We have also gotten good service from modelasprings, modeltsprings is the same guy.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:33 pm

Well with the tax refund in march I will probably order it from Langs and get some other parts that can ride along in the same box to save shipping.thanks for the help.And although it saddens me to turn loose of 145 bucks :cry: that could go for something else,at least I know It will work right. Shoulda known better than to try what I did.But I wasn't thinking I don't guess. But at least I did remember the cotter pins! :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic